6 cluckers here

6 cluckers

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Have a question for you that was brought up by my son. It's been to many years since I've had chickens to give him an educated answer. The 1st egg had a double yoke, He wanted to know if that chicken will always have double yoked eggs. I told him I didn't think so but would try to find out. 20 + yrs ago I had 25 birds and got double yokes once in a while but couldn't tell which one gave the egg. Only have 6 Road Iland Reds now. Not my pick in breed but they are good layers. Only my son would ask such a question. Thanks for any help you can give me. 6 cluckers here in SW Kansas.

I too and confused about this - my Grandma had told me this, but I had a gold star that laid double yokers for awhile, but doesn't anymore.

welcome-byc.gif
In my experience double yolked eggs are an occasional thing. Some hens never lay them, some hens lay them every now and then, and some hens lay them somewhat more frequently. I have never had a hen that lays them on a regular basis. That being said, I am certain that such hens may exist. Do you think he will accept that attempt at an answer?
lol.png

I have 4 chickens about 26 weeks old, i get a double yolker every week, i've narrowed it down to 2 of my flock. Not sure if it will always lay double yolkers, but would like to know to.

Thanks for the reply. It will be interesting to see what develops. Wouldn't bother my to get double yokes all the time. It would make great noodles.

Back
Top Bottom