6 day old failing to thrive...help?

Tiegrsi

Songster
Jul 19, 2016
Burgaw, NC
I've got a 6 or 7 day old chick that just is not doing well. I got her at a flock swap and she seemed fine the first two days, but I noticed she wasn't eating and I've been trying to encourage her by giving her mash of water and chick starter. 3 days ago I noticed she had a wonky eye which looked like someone had pecked her. It didn't look infected or watery but it was closed more than the other eye. I wiped it gently and I've been keeping an eye on it and today she doesn't open it at all...it actually looks like her eyelid has sealed shut - though it's not swollen or irritated looking at all. She flaps and peeps when picked up and will drink if I encourage her to (her water has save-a-chick in it). She will also eat if I dip her beak in the mash but she'll only take a bite or two then turn away from the food. She is in a brooder with many other chicks, all who are doing fine except her, and she is the smallest although there are 2 others the same age as her and 1 who is perhaps a day younger. She has the option to eat and drink in the brooder but I've been pulling her out to encourage her to eat and drink separately several times a day. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited:
I just had to help a weak chick, similar sounding to your story. I think this post might be helpful.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/367608/how-i-help-weak-baby-chicks-to-survive-hope-it-is-helpful
I mixed electrolites and probiotics (save a chick) in water and gave every 20 minutes or so during the day. I carried it in a kerchief around my neck as much as possible during the day. I also gave raw egg yolk or baby bird hand feeding food mixed in lots of water. I used a feeding syringe, placed a drop or two in the crease of my finger, and dipped the beak in that to get it to drink. During the night the chick stayed in the brooder with the other chicks. I use a brinsea eco-glow, so it's dark at night and everyone is quiet and calm. In my case it took about 48 hours and the chick turned around and is back with the rest and doing well. Assuming there is no actual illness going on, this may help.

Thank you, coach. I am going to try the bandana today with her. The link and your advice were quite helpful. I will see if I can turn her around!

Back
Top Bottom