Chirping chick

Amandayong

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2024
Hi,
New to the group. Amanda here.

I have a chick a few days old, had trouble getting out the egg so assisted her a little.

We didn’t do any damage.

Her name is actually Chirp Chirp!

She has a clicking sound when she breathes, and from what I have read on this forum it is a respiratory condition. I have purchased vetrx and should arrive tomorrow.

The first couple days she didn’t eat, as she was still full of her yolk. But she has a small crop.

She is a lot smaller than the others of course.

She has not been eating solid foods, so I have ground up chick starter food mixed with water and feeding her a syringe full, only small syringes. She will drink more than eat. The water has hydralyte.

But today is third day still no solid food, I have tried to show her to eat and peak but she isn’t doing it. How do I help her?

Her poop is watery with bit of food from the porridge she is eating.

After she eats she climbs up to my neck and under my hair. I am a true mummy hen to her.

After a hug I pop her back in the brooder and then half hour later she is chirping again. Is she hungry.

She has kept away from the other 5 chicks because of lack of energy. But at this moment now they are being social with Chirp Chirp.

Chirp chirp is now exhausted from being social. Have given her .65 ml water and then she is now under my hair.

When she has her ‘porridge’ she will have .9 ml not very thick though.
And 2x .9ml water.

But she is’nt growing because of lack of solids.

What should I do to feed her solids?

Actually, for a weak chick like her, fermenting the food actually unlocks more nutrients and is way better for her anyway, so still keep her on that for another week at least. Then she should be eating in her own and that when you thicken it up each time you feed until it’s dry.
She is chirping bc to her you are her mother. Chicks are attached to the very first thing they see when they hatch. Bc you helped her hatch, you are her mother. She most likely isn’t hungry, she is missing you. Get a small stuffed animal, something she can hide under, and put her on it.
Chicks will only go on top of their mother hen, they won’t purposely jump on anyone else bc it is a sign of deep affection. You will have to either be there most of the day, or as much as possible… or wean her off of your attention.
Good luck!

Actually, for a weak chick like her, fermenting the food actually unlocks more nutrients and is way better for her anyway, so still keep her on that for another week at least. Then she should be eating in her own and that when you thicken it up each time you feed until it’s dry.
She is chirping bc to her you are her mother. Chicks are attached to the very first thing they see when they hatch. Bc you helped her hatch, you are her mother. She most likely isn’t hungry, she is missing you. Get a small stuffed animal, something she can hide under, and put her on it.
Chicks will only go on top of their mother hen, they won’t purposely jump on anyone else bc it is a sign of deep affection. You will have to either be there most of the day, or as much as possible… or wean her off of your attention.
Good luck!
Thank you. How often should I bee feeding her since it’s a liquid diet? Would one of my singlet tops work is stead of a soft toy?

I hope your chick will be okay. Be very careful syringe feeding, so it doesn’t aspirate. The clicking likely means that it has inhaled some fluid into the lungs. Continue showing it how to eat and drink using your finger, guiding and tapping. It’s three days old, so it’ll be getting hungry now that the yolk has been consumed. One of your singlet tops will be fine for snuggling into it. Provide warm and cooler sides in the brooder, so the chick can choose what temperatures are comfortable. If you have it with at least one other chick, it will learn to eat and drink by watching its brooder mate.

When a chick has to be assisted to hatch, there may be other issues that are not obvious, internally things may not be quite right, it's very hard to know. Many times there is a reason they are not able to hatch themselves. You can give some raw egg yolk mixed in water, you can give some sugar water also, for a bit of energy. I have carried new chicks in a scarf/neckerchief around my neck, like a hammock, that rest on my upper chest. They can feel your warmth, hear you talk or hum, it often gives them comfort, and sometimes the will to keep trying. I try to give them fluids every 1/2 hour or so. If you can get some baby bird food (any pet store, Kaytee makes one) that can be watered down substantially for giving by dropper. You can also use a coffee grinder or good blender to grind up chick food to a very fine consistency for watering down. Best of luck.
This link may help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-chicks-to-survive-hope-it-is-helpful.367608/

Back
Top Bottom