9wk cream legbar wheezing and gasping

Hquinn

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2024
Wheezing

Hi-new her and inserted a link above to a video of my wheezing/gasping chick. She’s 9 weeks old. Indoors for now until the weather is warmer. 2 days ago had a loud wheezing and appeared to be gasping. She is not as active as normal. She tries to eat but I think it’s bothering her. She is still preening. It sounds like she has something stuck in her throat but I cannot see anything. She shakes her head and chirps now and then like a sneeze. I gave her 0.5 mL olive oil this morning and syringe fed her some water. Her crop feels empty to me. Any ideas?

Diet? Any other symptoms Where did you get her?
Purina start and grow crumbles non-medicated. Got her from a farm in jersey reputable for chicks and they were vaccinated. She was about a week old when I got her. No problems until now, however she’s always been on the small side. Otherwise developing normally I think. The main symptom are a loud wheezing sound and appearance of gasping. She shakes her head and chirps now and then. She is slightly lethargic but seems to want to eat, just not really doing so. Feet felt cold this morning.

Purina start and grow crumbles non-medicated. Got her from a farm in jersey reputable for chicks and they were vaccinated. She was about a week old when I got her. No problems until now, however she’s always been on the small side. Otherwise developing normally I think. The main symptom are a loud wheezing sound and appearance of gasping. She shakes her head and chirps now and then. She is slightly lethargic but seems to want to eat, just not really doing so. Feet felt cold this morning.
Also recently started using coop recoup to freshen the coop.

Welcome to BYC. It is not very good to give olive oil orally to a chicken with an empty crop. They can choke on it and aspirate. If olive or other oil is given to treat a crop impaction, I would add it to food or use chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck.

Do you have other older chickens? If not, I think that she may have been exposed to a respiratory virus or bacterial disease at her previous home. Mycoplasma (MG) can even be transmitted through a hatching egg. Infectious bronchitis is a virus which may be common. It usually causes sneezing very often, head shaking to dislodge mucus from the airways, and congestion. MG may cause more symptoms, such as watery or bubbly eye, swollen eyelids, and coughing. Tylosin powder added to the water may be helpful to treat MG, but infectious bronchitis will last about several weeks and does not respond to antibiotics. Here is where to find Tylosin online:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

2 days ago had a loud wheezing and appeared to be gasping. She is not as active as normal. She tries to eat but I think it’s bothering her. She is still preening. It sounds like she has something stuck in her throat but I cannot see anything. She shakes her head and chirps now and then like a sneeze. I gave her 0.5 mL olive oil this morning and syringe fed her some water. Her crop feels empty to me.

No problems until now

The main symptom are a loud wheezing sound and appearance of gasping. She shakes her head and chirps now and then. She is slightly lethargic but seems to want to eat, just not really doing so

Also recently started using coop recoup to freshen the coop.
This stuff? Coop Recuperate™
How much ventilation is in your coop? Is she the only one with symptoms?

She acts like she wants to eat, but can't? Have you looked inside her beak really well? Have someone hold her and you inspect inside the beak. Take photos if possible.

Could she have eaten the Coop Recouperate? Are her nostrils clear of food/material or mucous?

Coop Recuperate™ is a safe and natural way to care for your coop. This coop refresher contains organic eucalyptus and lemongrass essential oil, along with diatomaceous earth to reduce odor and moisture and help improve the quality of your compost.

Have you checked inside her mouth for any lesions or blockages? I think I agree with @Eggcessive about your bird being exposed to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or another respiratory disease such as Infectious Coryza. What type of bedding are you using currently?

Is she doing the gasping as often this morning? I didn’t see the video until now, and it does look like a respiratory disease. What is your general location? Has there been any report of respiratory problems with poultry in your area? Have you checked with the previous owner? I might go ahead and try to get some Tylosin powder for the water or Denagard and treat her. It probably is a virus, but just in case it is MG, those would help. Be sure that she is drinking plenty and you can add the medicated water to a little of her feed daily. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom