Gasping and wheezing chicken

I think @Eggcessive covered about all of it. Perhaps the fowl pox is contributing to the respiratory symptoms in its small way, also, if it's partially blocking the nares.

Squirrels seem to have an affinity for chickens. Here they sure do. They come into the run sometimes when I leave it open for the chickens to free range and hilarity ensues when the dumb creatures corner themselves and panic trying to find their way back out. Picture a billiard ball bouncing off the rails. One time one squirrel was so dumb, he couldn't find his way out and spent an hour digging a hole under a corner in the run to escape. I took serendipitous advantage of him finding the single vulnerable spot on the run and sealed it off after he got out.

Your eggs are fine to use. Chickens can sneeze just due to dust, environmental allergens, or dust in their feed. Is your run covered? VetRx is an herbal oil with camphor so nothing in it will cure a disease, but many people like it. It is similar to using Vicks in people. Since they are together, they have all certainly been exposed if there is a virus or other disease, so separating is not necessary. I always like to have enough room in my coop, however, to put a dog crate to use as a hospital crate. So making you pr coop a little bigger in the future might help. The only reason to get upset about their sneezing, is if you see bubbles or foam in one eye, or a swollen eyelids or face. That could be MG/CRD, and Tylosin powder for the water cannbe used. With the symptoms you are seeing now, it is probably just nasal irritation, or possibly a virus such as infectious bronchitis. That would run its course over a month or so. Have you added any new birds recently to your flock?
I am sorry to keep bothering you. I checked my flock today because I saw my blue Plymouth lay a white egg. We had previously thought our silkie was laying multiple eggs a day. I posted in the egg laying section wondering if maybe my chickens were mislabeled when we got them but after a lot more reading I began to realize it’s probably bronchitis or something else causing my brown layers to have white eggs. You had said the virus runs its course if that is the case. Does that mean eggs are safe? I was reading about Newcastle and bronchitis on different sites and saw phrases like “100% morbidity” and “culling the entire flock, sanitizing, and starting over”, as well as recommendations such as ensuring flocks are maintained in an area where they never encounter wild birds or their droppings. We haven’t eaten any eggs since the first few days they began laying. We have 2 dozen now and family that wants eggs once we are able. I read that you should not consume eggs or meat from a sick chicken. I just want to make sure we are being safe. We have invested a lot in our hens and they have only just started laying. I did a lot of research before getting chickens and we did so to be more self sufficient. I’m just at a point where I’m wondering if I’ve made a huge mistake? I am really diligent with my chickens, I monitor them daily. When we got our chicks two had chronic pasted bottoms and were always underweight but I’ve done my best. We just finished connecting their run to their coop, before we had had several days where they were out free ranging without supervision and would visit the neighbors yards. But none with chickens. They seem perfectly fine, no runny noses today no sneezing or coughing, my orpingtons legs are very pale, but everyone is super active. No swelling or bubbles. I feel very confused and overwhelmed, and I know I am becoming very annoying. So I truly apologize for my constant questioning.

IBV does not infect humans. If you are thinking of doing something as irreversible as culling your flock, I highly recommend getting a test done to determine if IBV is indeed in your flock. You can do this through a blood sample but it is not cheap.

IBV does not infect humans. If you are thinking of doing something as irreversible as culling your flock, I highly recommend getting a test done to determine if IBV is indeed in your flock. You can do this through a blood sample but it is not cheap.
I do not want to cull my flock at all. We would not get more chickens if that was a decision I would have to make. I’m just very confused. I see one thing on my IFAS page another on Merck Veterinary, something different on an mspca page. I just want to make sure my flock can be healthy and I don’t risk my family’s health. I read IBV and Newcastle are not contagious to people but cannot find anything about the safety of the eggs. Only that it can cause watery albumin and discolored shells.

These are some of my girls

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0350.jpeg
    IMG_0350.jpeg
    786.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0353.jpeg
    IMG_0353.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    745.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    824.5 KB · Views: 3
As @Eggcessive already mentioned, the eggs are safe to eat.

A PCR test is available as I mentioned. It requires you to contact this lab and request a testing kit which you will then return with the required sample. You must select the test to be run on it which will be the infectious bronchitis virus. I used these people in the past and it is easy and simple to have it done. It is not cheap, though.

This PCR test is done on a throat swab which comes in the test kit. These folks will send you the testing materials and do the test. Zoologix Inc 9811 Owensmouth Ave, STE 4, Chatsworth, CA, 91311-9547 818-717-8880 www.zoologix.com This test is around $100. The test kit was around $25 when I requested it around five years ago. You can order it by email by going to the web site.

@RaesChicks if your chickens would have IB virus, it lasts about a month with mostly just sneezing, and you may notice a wrinkled egg shell. Do not cull chickens for IBV. Once it runs through a flock over weeks, the chickens do remain carriers for about 5 months. So I would not add any new chicks or hatch any for a year, since for 5 months after the last bird gets well, they can still be carriers. My flock had probable IBV once, and since it can cause some reproductive disorders later in life, I did lose some prematurely. But many lived to be old ladies. I just did not add to my flock for a year. You can handle this without testing, but if you ever see any eye bubbles or swollen eyelid, then try to get testing. Good luck. The test that Carol recommended from Zoologix is for a pcr panel for 8 different respiratory diseases. It is here on this link to see what testing is done:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Back
Top Bottom