Unknown/Unidentified Illness

No, I would not force liquids down her.
She's drinking on her own. Sounds like she has a crop problem which is a symptom.
I would get the Calcium into her asap. Just pull the wattles down to open the beak, pop the calcium tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Likely she's having a hard time expelling and egg, it may be a soft shelled/shell less egg which can be hard to push out. Hopefully this is the case and the calcium will help her. Once the egg is out, she probably has another on the way, so keep up with the calcium for 5 days. Most of the time, IF the crop is slow due to problems with an egg, this symptom will resolve once the egg(s) have been laid/expelled.
I had no idea about pulling on the wattles!! It's been a battle whenever I try to get her beak open - huge tip right there!! I have checked her vent twice, inserting my gloved & lubricated index finger up to the 2nd knuckle and I feel absolutely nothing there. Keep in mind that's the first I've done it but I'm pretty sure I'd know if an egg was there right? I read not to go further than the 2nd knuckle. Palpating her abdomen, I feel nothing.

Now just before this all started one of two girls, Skitlz being one of them, laid a soft-shell egg - I found one of the other girls running around with the "shell" but it was split open. I don't know if she pecked it open and out plopped the contents or if came out of whoever laid it that way. Not sure if that has anything to do with this? Also, I read egg bound hens will die with in the first 48 hours if not tended to - it's been a week so is egg bound even possible? So many could be possibilities it's a little overwhelming! Appreciate your response!!

The calcium with help with the soft shell egg problem. Calcium citrate with D 3 is handy for many of those laying or egg shell problems. They don’t die within 2 days of being egg bound.

Back
Top Bottom