6 eggs down to 2 eggs????

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
Hi all!! It has been a while since I last posted.. How are you all ??

Ok..I have 7 BO pullets that have been laying since about mid august. I had been getting 6 eggs a day. As it got cooler it went to about 4-5 a day..I had one broody girly that sat on nothing for a bit..lol..I went out yesterday expecting my normal 4-5 eggs and there were only 2 at about 3 in the afternoon....
hu.gif

I have read that they don't lay as many in the fall/winter, but is it normal to drop off that fast? How many can I expect on a normal day this time of year?

From what I understand, chickens need about 12-13 hours of light to continue laying. This summer I was getting about a dozen eggs a day. Then it dropped down to just 3 or 4 a day as the days got shorter.

Last week I had DH install a light with a timer in the coop. The light goes on about 4 am (it gets dark here about 6:15pm).

This morning I went out and had 8 eggs, so I guess it's working.

lol.png

I second the light as being the problem, I was getting 11 eggs a day up until about 3 weeks ago then BOOM, no transition or tapering off..then only 2 a day, I added a light a few days ago to turn on at 3am,(gets dark here about 4pm) and off at 10am and I am up to 5 eggs a day now. I used a 90 watt flood light hung high up in a corner. good luck

Back
Top Bottom