6 eggs in two weeks!

Mommy of 1

Chirping
7 Years
6 Years
Jun 4, 2014
In March I got two hens that were already laying. They stopped for a couple days when I got them home. I assumed it was because they needed to get comfortable in their new home. After that they would both lay an egg a day until two weeks ago. I brought home 8 more chickens and I've only gotten six eggs out of 10 chickens in two weeks. Could it be a diet change that's bothering the new 8? I also rearranged the coop when I brought the new ones home so they would all have plenty of room. Maybe messing up their habitat has upset them? That's what I assumed for the first few days but they haven't resumed. The 6 eggs that I got were all laid in one day and I'm almost positive that none of those were from my previous two. It's been three more days since I got the 6 and I don't know what to think. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

In March I got two hens that were already laying. They stopped for a couple days when I got them home. I assumed it was because they needed to get comfortable in their new home. After that they would both lay an egg a day until two weeks ago. I brought home 8 more chickens and I've only gotten six eggs out of 10 chickens in two weeks. Could it be a diet change that's bothering the new 8? I also rearranged the coop when I brought the new ones home so they would all have plenty of room. Maybe messing up their habitat has upset them? That's what I assumed for the first few days but they haven't resumed. The 6 eggs that I got were all laid in one day and I'm almost positive that none of those were from my previous two. It's been three more days since I got the 6 and I don't know what to think. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

You've had a lot of disruption to your flock over the past couple of months with moving the original birds, adding new birds, etc. How old are the two hens and eight new birds? What breed(s) of chickens do you have?

The first two turned a year in April one sadly committed suicide two days ago by flying into our dog pen. The fence is almost 6 foot tall, I have no idea what possessed her to do such a thing. The remaining one is a barred rock. With the new ones I have 2 americanas and 6 black sex links. I was told they were all between 14 months and 16 months. The one day I received the 6 eggs one was blue and one was green so I know the americanas are able to lay. The other four were light brown.

Back
Top Bottom