6 free extras....What breed, and is one a pullet?!

Black sex-links can have dark OR yellow legs.

Since they're not a specific breed, they don't have "standards" that they match to. Just a general look.

Just know that the females DON'T have a spot on their heads and the males do.

If you ordered Barred Rocks, that's probably what they gave you. If you didn't...well...it's just chance.

Edited to add:

Here's some "guidelines" for the black sex-links. Many adults have yellow OR black legs:
blacksexlinks.jpg

The chicks can also come with the "off-yellow" color or the black colored legs.

Last edited:
I also received 10 of these chicks with my last order. They were hatched and mailed 10-15, they are now 12 days old and are showing barring on their wings. Does this mean they are barred rocks or does the bsl males also have barring? If they are barred rocks, can you tell by the head spot if they are males or females? I thought I had heard one was a bigger spot. Thanks!

Quote:
The BSL males are also barred. Im sure there are ways to tell differences, but im not sure what they are. I know that one i think is a pullet is a BSL, for sure.

If im not badly mistaken, the BSLs will have less yellow, and their beaks will be much darker than the BRs. Thats just what I have observed so far.

When I was researching, I believe it said the BR males have a more defined spot around the edges. Also it was said BSL males are barred, but the barring is erratic not uniform like the BR's. Hope that helps.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom