6 hour power outage incubation

dulahdaglace

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Missouri
I know various versions of this have been asked before, but mine is slightly different. According to my temperature monitor, I lost power in the middle of the night, and it was out about 5 1/2 hours. I thought about the eggs when I woke up and drove to a friend's house to plug them in. So they also had a slightly hilly ride, although I drove slowly and they had bars to limit their rolling. The thermometer on the incubator said they got down to 58 Farhenheit, with a slight spike when apparently the power came back on a couple hours ago and went out again. We are on day 8 I think (left the calendar at home)
I'm hatching these for a coworker and I already lost the first batch, so I'm trying to get them to him as fast as possible - should I start a new clutch? Be honest rather than optimistic :)

Last edited:
I just had the same problem a few days ago power out for 7 hours I just covered incubator with a blanket until power came back on and hoping for the best. 18 days will be 3/10 but mine usually start hatching on the 16 1/2 day and done by end of day 17. I don't have anyone waiting on hatchlings so no real pressure other than the loss and can set another batch after the 10th. I'm going to be collecting eggs for anther set starting Monday the 6th just in case. Let us know how things turn out if you continue until hatch for future reference, I will do the same and BEST OF LUCK on whatever you decide.

My incubator has the option to be connected to AC power and to have a 12 V battery, but I just have the AC plugged into an UPS for desktop computers just in case of power outage. It's an extra expense, but I'd rather do that then risk loosing the hatch. Might be worth considering for future hatches.

I know various versions of this have been asked before, but mine is slightly different. According to my temperature monitor, I lost power in the middle of the night, and it was out about 5 1/2 hours. I thought about the eggs when I woke up and drove to a friend's house to plug them in. So they also had a slightly hilly ride, although I drove slowly and they had bars to limit their rolling. The thermometer on the incubator said they got down to 58 Farhenheit, with a slight spike when apparently the power came back on a couple hours ago and went out again. We are on day 8 I think (left the calendar at home)
I'm hatching these for a coworker and I already lost the first batch, so I'm trying to get them to him as fast as possible - should I start a new clutch? Be honest rather than optimistic :)
How did your hatch go did you continue to incubate them?
I just had the same problem a few days ago power out for 7 hours I just covered incubator with a blanket until power came back on and hoping for the best. 18 days will be 3/10 but mine usually start hatching on the 16 1/2 day and done by end of day 17. I don't have anyone waiting on hatchlings so no real pressure other than the loss and can set another batch after the 10th. I'm going to be collecting eggs for anther set starting Monday the 6th just in case. Let us know how things turn out if you continue until hatch for future reference, I will do the same and BEST OF LUCK on whatever you decide.
I had 17 out of the 25 hatch so wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought with the small size of the quail eggs they would have cooled much faster and been affected more than they were. Also, they were pretty much on same hatching schedule as they always have been all finished day 17. Hope things went well for you.

Back
Top Bottom