6 Miniature Appleyard eggs - advice welcome

Thank you so much guys,

I have just checked on it and it seems to be really going for it, the egg is wobbling in the incubator I assume this would mean that s/he has plenty of energy left and not in any immediate danger? I am going to wait another hour and then either go to sleep with an alarm set for 2 hours time and check again or make a hole now.

I have been doing some reading, but just to double check - a small hole in the centre of the air sack/wide end?
I shall go grab an egg from the cupboard to practise on ;)

@Isaac 0 any idea on the second clip regarding that yellow line? (just checked again and no internal pip yet)

Looks normal to me, both eggs you showed look good. You put the safety hole on the tip of the air sac end, if you do it on the side there is a chance the duckling may turn to zip and cuts its air supply off.

20200429_223300.jpg

How many gallons of sweat did you produce when you were drilling the hole?

haha, it was quite scary - Not so much sweaty but I think I checked the location of the chick 8 times before making the hole!

I ended up using some sharp tweezers (the ones which curve around at the top) instead of the screw as the one I had wasn't quite right it felt like I was putting too much pressure onto the egg - the tweezers went through very easily and then I used the screw just to widen it ever so slightly!

Hi all, just a quick update;

So the one which I put the safety hole in seems to be doing fine, still plenty of movement. When I checked on them this morning this egg was actually rocking and I could hear a chirp from the egg! Still no external pip though :/

The other one however I am unsure on. There was minimal movement this morning when I checked and now I have checked twice since I came back from work and both times I have been unable to observe any movement at all :(
Could it be that I missed the signs of the internal pip? I will be checking on these through this evening/night but do you think I should be putting a safety hole in the second egg also? (if there has been no internal pip could doing so harm it?
I am slightly concerned that this one has given up on us due to the lack of movement :(

Advice is welcomed

@Isaac 0

EDIT: after re reading some post I believe this is nothing to worry about just yet as they do tend to sleep? It is just a stark contrast to the other which is again rocking around and chirping! I would still appreciate some advice regarding the safety hole before a confirmed internal pip? (not sure if it has or not)

Last edited:
Hi all, just a quick update;

So the one which I put the safety hole in seems to be doing fine, still plenty of movement. When I checked on them this morning this egg was actually rocking and I could hear a chirp from the egg! Still no external pip though :/

The other one however I am unsure on. There was minimal movement this morning when I checked and now I have checked twice since I came back from work and both times I have been unable to observe any movement at all :(
Could it be that I missed the signs of the internal pip? I will be checking on these through this evening/night but do you think I should be putting a safety hole in the second egg also? (if there has been no internal pip could doing so harm it?
I am slightly concerned that this one has given up on us due to the lack of movement :(

Advice is welcomed

@Isaac 0

EDIT: after re reading some post I believe this is nothing to worry about just yet as they do tend to sleep? It is just a stark contrast to the other which is again rocking around and chirping! I would still appreciate some advice regarding the safety hole before a confirmed internal pip? (not sure if it has or not)
Have you tried light tapping on the egg or making your own peeping noises near it while candling? Sometimes if they are resting you will see them move to that. Also try putting the egg up to your ear and see if you hear and tapping or rubbing noises.
If you do you may want to put the safety hole in. But when you candle look for the tinest twitches. If you only see those I would safety hole as well. I am not sure if you should if those aren’t there.

Back
Top Bottom