6 Miniature Appleyard eggs - advice welcome

Hi, yes I tried tapping the shell a little and nothing :( I have been checking every 20minutes or so and still nothing.

I have taken some pictures to show you what it looks like.
2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Hi all, just a quick update;

So the one which I put the safety hole in seems to be doing fine, still plenty of movement. When I checked on them this morning this egg was actually rocking and I could hear a chirp from the egg! Still no external pip though :/

The other one however I am unsure on. There was minimal movement this morning when I checked and now I have checked twice since I came back from work and both times I have been unable to observe any movement at all :(
Could it be that I missed the signs of the internal pip? I will be checking on these through this evening/night but do you think I should be putting a safety hole in the second egg also? (if there has been no internal pip could doing so harm it?
I am slightly concerned that this one has given up on us due to the lack of movement :(

Advice is welcomed

@Isaac 0

EDIT: after re reading some post I believe this is nothing to worry about just yet as they do tend to sleep? It is just a stark contrast to the other which is again rocking around and chirping! I would still appreciate some advice regarding the safety hole before a confirmed internal pip? (not sure if it has or not)

I wait till I have a definite internal pip, putting one into early may cause premature drying out of the membrane which could result in shrinkwrapping, there isn't much you can do besides wait for an internal pip, it may be a good idea though to scan the rest of the egg in case the duckling is trying to pip on the wrong side, or perhaps the side that's facing down.

Hi, yes I tried tapping the shell a little and nothing :( I have been checking every 20minutes or so and still nothing.

I have taken some pictures to show you what it looks like.
View attachment 2115919
View attachment 2115920
View attachment 2115923

I would give it a few more days, the picture doesn't look too good to me though, maybe a late quitter. Don't throw it out yet, candling pictures can sometimes mess with the brain.

Morning,

So I do beleive the second egg is sadly given up on us, still no signs of movement.

However the first egg which I put the safety hole is has hatched!
When I went to bed last night there was still no external pip, so I was very shocked when I woke up this morning to find a little duckling happily chilling in the incubator.

S/he seems very happy to be out, quite lively and walking already! I showed it the food and water and popped the little guy into the brooder but sadly couldnt spend too much time with him as I had to rush off to work.

He was clear from the egg when we found him this morning, I was expecting a much longer process than this! So a little shocked :))

20200501_073046.jpg
20200501_073039.jpg

Awwww we are on our first batch of ducks and we chose miniature Appleyard too! I can’t wait but I’m so nervous and not convinced we’ll get any as my incubator was rubbish, we’ve just swapped it on day 3 but I’ve nothing to check humidity with 🤦🏼‍♀️ I’m looking forward to our first candle on Sunday to see if there’s anything happening!
your duckling is so cute 🦆

Unfortunately we do not which makes looseing that second one even harder.
We do have another 12 in the oven but those are not due for another 2 weeks!

Any tips on what to do to help this little guy until he has some friends?
Hi, I'm in the UK too. Yes definitely a mirror and cuddly toy and lots of attention if possible.
I have regular silver appleyards and they are such lovely characters. Your duckling looks gorgeous. Congratulations!

Thank you, I shall have a word with our daughter and see if she would be willing to give up one of her fluffy toys :)

S/He is doing so well, walking around seems to be eating and drinking fine. I just used my fingers to show it what to do and it copied me.
S/he does seem to chirp a lot if we walk past so I do think it needs company. It is a real shame we only got one from this batch.
I did think about asking the local farm to borrow one of their ducks... but that wouldn't work as they will be far too big! Concerned about integration with the other after 2 weeks old let a lone a fully grown duck ;)

@Tillyk I wish you luck, we realised early on that we were only going to have a few ducks from the first batch of 6 so we got more ready and a new/better incubator. 2 weeks to go for those:)

@Dees ducks hello fellow UK citizen :) love your profile picture, is it much maintenance to keep it looking like that?

20200501_180439.jpg
20200501_180405.jpg

Thank you, I shall have a word with our daughter and see if she would be willing to give up one of her fluffy toys :)

S/He is doing so well, walking around seems to be eating and drinking fine. I just used my fingers to show it what to do and it copied me.
S/he does seem to chirp a lot if we walk past so I do think it needs company. It is a real shame we only got one from this batch.
I did think about asking the local farm to borrow one of their ducks... but that wouldn't work as they will be far too big! Concerned about integration with the other after 2 weeks old let a lone a fully grown duck ;)

@Tillyk I wish you luck, we realised early on that we were only going to have a few ducks from the first batch of 6 so we got more ready and a new/better incubator. 2 weeks to go for those:)

@Dees ducks hello fellow UK citizen :) love your profile picture, is it much maintenance to keep it looking like that?

View attachment 2118499View attachment 2118500
hello @hollonomic
What a gorgeous cutie!
I've just hatched 6 out of 6 welsh magpies now 2 days old.......
IMG_20200501_085157.jpg

I'm in Suffolk and can rent one out if needed :)
The first pond was OK when I only has 3 ducks.
Now I've just finished mt 4th hatch and I have kept several from my previous hatches so now have 7 adult ducks, 1 x buff oprpigton, 1 x peach campbell, 1 z aylesbury, 2 x cayugas and 2 silver appleyards.......
IMG_20200428_130336.jpg

so I had to make the pond bigger..........

IMG_20200428_085219.jpg

I have a filter and pump on it which does a small bit of good, however, no filtration will combat duck poo so every 2-3 weeks I drop a sump pump into it and completely empty the pond, hose down then refill. Takes about 1.5 hrs to clean then filling up can take another 3+ hours.
Am relining the pond this year and will add another pump to a hydroponic filtration system of some kind. Haven't quite figured this out yet but will start in about 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom