6 month old Bantam Rooster mixed breed, having loud raspy breathing, and I have been draining yellow

sheildmaiden

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2015
Escalon, California
My Lil Romeo is definitely sick. I have not pin pointed his illness, and I am just becoming familiar with the backyard chicken world. I have had lil romeo for about one and a half months. I purchased him and three ducks from a local feed store. I conjoined them into my flock of three teenage pullets (about four months) two tweens (about three months of age) and two seven month old very productive egg laying Hens. My smaller hen Lily had fowl pox a few months ago, but has recovered fine, with no further infections to the flock. Now fall is here, and about five days ago my Lil guy was acting lethargic and not his usual cocky self. He wasn't much of a crower, and not social at all. In fact I began to notice he was not eating as much either, and isolating himself. The following day I noticed a Swollen eye. It was in fact swollen shut. I thought maybe one of the hens might have attacked him like they did the first day. I brought him side at night and gave him a warm shower, and got a better look at the eye. I hadn't noticed any fluid as of yet. The second night I brought him inside to sleep in his own box with his own food and water, and cleaned him with warm water again, and noticed a yellow fluid from his eye when I pressed against the swelling. I soaked cottenswabs in a homemade saline solution and dabbed around his eyes, and nostrils. The next day again same routine, and this time yellow crust around eyes and nostrils in the morning and increasing by evening. More saline application, to kill germs, and he opened his mouth and I noticed mucous in his mouth and throat clear. now tonight the mucous is present in his breathing, he is having breathing difficulties raspy sounding breathing. There was very minimal yellow crust on his nostrils tonight opposed to the night before, in fact any mucous visible is now clear. Perhaps just like a human cold this is that last part when there is heavy clear mucous and alot of toilet paper to get it out My concern that he is unable to blow his own nose to relieve himself.......... The truth is I am very worried about him, because his breathing seems stressful to him. I think he could make it through this, being such a lil guy with a big heart and personality of a giant rooster..... Praying!!

There are some respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma ( MG) and coryza that can cause swollen eyes, sinus infection, and pus. It sounds like you are doing well getting the pus out of the eye. Saline or Vetericyn eye wash or eye gel are good to use in the eye. He may benefit from an antibiotic such as Tylan, or if he has a bad odor that is typical of coryza, sulfa drugs such as Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine. Other respiratory illnesses can be complicated by E.coli and other bacteria that could also cause these symptoms. Ideally, a vet could culture the bacteria and prescribe the right drug.

thankyou so much. Today I noticed a slightly fowl foul odor from the pus. Makes me sad, he seems to be doing the same, which isnt that great compared to his usual little perky self. I am going to keep researching, because vets are costly. Thankyou

Back
Top Bottom