6 month old light brahma - not laying yet - aggressive towards others

JJandtheBoys

Chirping
Oct 26, 2020
Our 6 month old brahma pullet is being aggressive towards the other chickens. She is top mounting some of the other hens (pretending to be a rooster) and picking on the other girls - with a few specific target victims. I though brahmas were supposed to be sweeties. Any thoughts on how to stop this? Environmental change?

1. We have a 360 ft. play yard with lots of good clutter and 4 feeding/watering stations (multiple ports at each station)
2. A flock of 20 total birds, including a rooster and his original 6 ladies who are almost 2 years old and 13 others who were born late October/early November
3. Plenty of roosting space.
4. Free range time of about 6 hours a day - they have about 5 acres to range on, but they generally confine themselves to about 1/2 and acre.
5. She's not laying eggs yet.

Thank you!

I would separate her in a dog kennel away from everyone for a few days. See if you can lower her on the totem pole. What does the rooster have to say about the issue?
The EE rooster lets her do her thing. She's bigger than he is, and the two of them are amiable. I cannot believe I got stuck with a grouchy brahma. When I put her in jail, do I leave her with the others (in jail) or put her kennel in the garage out of sight?

The EE rooster lets her do her thing. She's bigger than he is, and the two of them are amiable. I cannot believe I got stuck with a grouchy brahma. When I put her in jail, do I leave her with the others (in jail) or put her kennel in the garage out of sight?
I would personally do out of sight (garage) so that they forget her and she has to be the new kid upon return. There are many ways to deal with a bully - @azygous has an article on an alternate way, if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom