6 month-old Orp with Sudden Onset Lame Foot

JennAndHens

Songster
May 4, 2021
Yesterday morning, my Buff Orp was just fine. At 5pm, she was sitting in the corner of the coop chattering. She’s alert and calm, but won’t stand and doesn’t seem to be able to use her foot or leg.
No Bumblefoot, scabs, scars or blood anywhere.
Normal poop and still laying.
She has no swollen or hot parts of her leg, nothing feels broken.
She will grip my hand with her right foot, but left foot is lame.
I noticed that the top of her comb seemed a little blue yesterday. It pinked up when she came inside.
There is no coughing or sneezing, no discharge. Nothing obvious but the left lame left leg.
She is alert and eating and drinking, took her outside with her flock and she can’t stand or walk, but grazed.
She is crate Inside and seems comfortable.
She has had egg with oral B complex last night and this AM. Going to buy Vitamin E now.
Am I missing anything?
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance ♥️♥️

You know what .. I've had chickens do this periodically through the years. I found that they must have pulled something, because they started getting better within a few days, then completely well later. No explanation! So I assumed it was that, a pulled little muscle or tendon. We aren't around all the time to see how they land from up on the roost, or if they caught their leg in something. I would just let her stay outside and see if she will use it once in a while. May be good for her to try and exercise it. My thoughts. Good luck.

You know what .. I've had chickens do this periodically through the years. I found that they must have pulled something, because they started getting better within a few days, then completely well later. No explanation! So I assumed it was that, a pulled little muscle or tendon. We aren't around all the time to see how they land from up on the roost, or if they caught their leg in something. I would just let her stay outside and see if she will use it once in a while. May be good for her to try and exercise it. My thoughts. Good luck.
I’m hoping you’re right! She can’t get to the food and water, so I thought it better to bring her in for the night. I’ll keep bringing her out to the flock, tho.

Back
Top Bottom