1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 out of 23 laying...2 dozen since the 8th!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Southern28Chick, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have 3 EE's, 1 White leghorn, 1 RIR and 1 Barred Rock laying.

I've gotten 2 dozen eggs since the 8th!!!! Boo (Barred Rock) and Purdy (EE) were the first to start laying they they lay 1 every day. Turkey (EE) and an unknown EE just started laying. A RIR (I think it's Red Robin) just laid her first Sunday and 1 today and a White leghorn laid her first yesterday. 17 more pullets to go!!!

This is so much fun. It's like every time I look in the hen house there's another egg.

[​IMG]

This is what I've gotten since Saturday (except 1 broke when I dropped it on the counter this morning):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What a pretty color selection too!!

3. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Congratulations! Nice selection of eggs you got there!

I think I'm up to 3 laying chickens since the 7th. I've gotten 3 eggs a day for the past 2 or 3 days. I love going out to the coop and realizing that there's another one laying!

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

YAY! [​IMG] It wasn't too long ago that you were wondering where your eggs were!!!

5. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm not supposed to wash them, right? You can see the one on the top right corner has blood on it. It's ok it leave it I'm sure.

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The colored eggs are sooooo pretty! Actually they are all nice eggs.
    I can't wait to get my first colored egg. It should be any day....I hope!
    Isn't it so much fun! I've collected 7 eggs so far today....the most in one day for me. I have one SLW and all 6 of my RIR's laid today. [​IMG]
    Still waiting for 3 SLW and all 5 of my Araucana/Ameraucana to lay. [​IMG]
    I just love it!

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Just wait...French toast, omeletes, egg salad, deviled eggs, creamed eggs, scrambled eggs ... youre gonna get sick of eggs! Set up a stand and start selling them and learn to freeze them.

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Is it true that you have to freeze the egg without the shell? I'm planning on selling most of the eggs though. I've started on a wood burning that'll hang out by my road that says:
    Farm Fresh Eggs on one wooden plank and then with a chain leading down to a smaller wooden plank with my phone number on it.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yes you freeze them without the shell. Here's how:

FREEZING EGGS If you receive a windfall of eggs far beyond your capacity to use within a few weeks, they can be frozen - not in the shell, of course. Only freeze clean, fresh eggs.

WHITES
    Break and separate the eggs, one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets in the whites. Pour them into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of egg whites and the date, and freeze. For faster thawing and easier measuring, first freeze each white in an ice cube tray and then transfer to a freezer container.

YOLKS
    Egg yolks require special treatment. The gelation property of yolk causes it to thicken or gel when frozen. If frozen as is, egg yolk will eventually become so gelatinous it will be almost impossible to use in a recipe. To help retard this gelation, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or corn syrup per 1/4 cup egg yolks (4 yolks). Label the container with the number of yolks, the date, and whether you've added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts).

WHOLE EGGS
    Beat just until blended, pour into freezer containers. seal tightly, label with the number of eggs and the date, and freeze.

HARD-COOKED
    Hard-cooked yolks can be frozen to use later for toppings or garnishes. Carefully place the yolks in a single layer in a saucepan and add enough water to come at least I inch above the yolks. Cover and quickly bring just to boiling. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, in the hot water about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain well and package for freezing.

Hard-cooked whole eggs and whites become tough and watery when frozen, so don't freeze them.

To use frozen eggs...
    Thaw frozen eggs overnight in the refrigerator or under running cold water. Use yolks or whole eggs as soon as they're thawed. Once thawed, whites will beat to better volume if allowed to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.

Substitute 2 tablespoons thawed egg white for 1 Large fresh white.

Substitute 1 tablespoon thawed egg yolk for 1 Large fresh yolk.

Substitute 3 tablespoons thawed whole egg for 1 Large fresh egg.

Use thawed frozen eggs only in dishes that are thoroughly cooked.
    Just scramble them, add a teaspoon of salt per cup of egg mixture and then freeze them in ice cube trays.
    To use them, 2 cubes = one egg.

Oh, and please be careful about giving out your phone number.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    To freeze them crack them into the cups of a large cube ice tray. When frozen pop them out and put them in a ziplock freezer bag and return to the freezer. When you need them take out the number of cubed eggs and thaw.

They are best for baking and cooking. Not so great after being frozen if you want a nice fried egg for breakfast. The texture slightly changes after freezing.

If you were to freeze them in the shell the water in the eggs would expand and break out of the shell leaving you a mess to clean up.

I have always kept some eggs frozen when they are plentiful just to have on hand should we run into a shortage during those long cold days of winter when no one wants to go out to the store just for a few eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by