6 Rhode Island Reds (please check) ~6 weeks (?) sex?

Shesapip

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Washington County, Oregon
I refuse to give up on getting RIR hens for my flock!

I picked up these sweeties a few weeks (I think) ago. At first I thought I had one rooster, then I thought two, and now I'm thinking three. What do YOU think?
fl.gif

I have one photo of five together and a separate photo of the sixth.
27321_100_1722.jpg

27321_100_1723.jpg

Also, what age would you say they were at the time of the photos? Do they all look about the same age?

ARE they Rhode Island Reds?
fl.gif

Thanks so much for your help!
frow.gif

They look like 6-7wk old RIRs to me. Looks like there are probably three cockerals in there, but I would wait a couple more weeks to be sure.

I only see one roo... front center. But I can't see the backs and wings of the others. At about 6 weeks of age, hens will be fully feathered; roos won't have feathers down the center of the back or on the bows of the wings.

I also feel just above their feet to see who has spur nubs. Some hens have them too, but the combo of missing feathers and nubs confirms "roo" for me.

Kathy in Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

Ohhhh! I didn't even see the wattles until you just now pointed them out!

It's been 10 days since that photo - I'll have to go out and look more closely at all of them. Hopefully there are no more than three cockerels in there.

The boy with the biggest comb is a love - always gravitates toward me when all the others shy away. I wish I could keep a rooster within city limits!

Back
Top Bottom