6 RIRs gone

acafro

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Woolwich Maine
Yesterday morning I let my 8 ladies out around 8AM which is late. Around 4 PM I was alerted by clucking coming from the deck that one had escaped the coop and when I brought her back, there was only one bird left and she was on the roof.

There is absolutely no sign of an attack, or struggle of any kind. Is it possible that 6 of them wandered off? Or more likely something was stealthy enough to grab 6 yet and not leave a single sign. I was storming pretty bad while they were outside too. The whole thing just doesn't add up. If I was missing one or two I would certainly suspect something grabbed them. But 6 full sized RIRs at one time What the hell.

I searched high and low for them around the house. Nothing. Not even a mess of feathers.

I am so sorry for your loss. :(. I had the same thing happen to me. Three full grown guineas disappeared one morning and I never found even a single feather. :(

I lost five Guineas one morning...the sixth one was alive when I caught the culprit... a hunting dog...the sixth one died of its injuries. I never did find any feathers from the five...the dog survived as it was friendly to humans...the hunter was very apologetic, he offered compensation but how can you compensate for the loss of a beloved animal?

Very sorry for your losses. Any of the larger predators can carry off a chicken with no trace - coyotes, bobcats etc. Any chance someone grabbed them? I hope I am wrong and they wandered off.

Back
Top Bottom