6 toed chick can't balance when running, can you help?

giasmom

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Woodville, Al
I got a little 3 week old silkie mix chick a week ago at a swap. I got it just to keep a lone chick company. Today I noticed it has 6 toes on each foot. It does not have the back toe that gives them their balance. It walks kind of funny because it doesn't have a way to balance. It can't run at all without falling down. Any suggestions on what I can do for it. Will it eventually adjust to be able to run? I can't take pics yet because my camera batts are dead.

Boy tough one! I don't have any real advice, just support. I can't imagine what could be done. Hopefully its muscles will strengthen and help it move around better.

Good luck,
Imp

does it look anything like this?

28096_phonepics_034.jpg

this is my six toed silkies feet. She was a little stumbly at first but now you can hardly keep up with her.

Quote:
All the toes point forward? That is called duckfoot. The five-toed birds usually have 2 back toes. When I've had six toed birds, they've had 3 back toes.

I don't have any ideas other than to make sure it is on a surface where it can get a grip.

Quote:
All the toes point forward? That is called duckfoot. The five-toed birds usually have 2 back toes. When I've had six toed birds, they've had 3 back toes.

I don't have any ideas other than to make sure it is on a surface where it can get a grip.

Sonoran, It actually has 5 large toes & 1 small toe growing out of the toe furtherest to the inside of the step. Make since? Its just like if you were to hold both your hands out in front of you, looking at the back of your hands,then imagine a sixth digit growing out of the inner part of your thumb. Yes, None of the digits go back any further than the thumb. So, I guess I would say like a ducks foot in a way.

Will it ever be able to roost or walk up a ramp ? The other chick thats in with it will already rest on the little roosting stick, this little one just sits on the bottom of the brooder next to the roost. So whats yalls opinions on it? Is it really still to early to tell? The little silkie is only like 3 to 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom