6 Week Old Brahma - Sneezing every 15 seconds

laineylane

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2016
I have a 6 week old bantam Brahma that has been sneezing every 15 or so seconds for five days now. Other than the constant sneezing, she acts perfectly normal. She has the same amount of activity and eating she has always had. The only change in her life came about 10 days ago when they were moved permanently outside. They had been spending days in the their run, but nights in our house. Otherwise everything is as it has always been.

She is part of a small flock of new birds all the same age. None of the other chickens show any signs of sickness or distress.

On the advice of a fellow chicken owner, I have had the flock on electrolytes and have been giving her VetRX for the past two days, but neither has seemed to have any effect.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Welcome to BYC.

Can you post a video of her?

Check her nostrils to see if they are blocked by any food, dirt, debris.
Also check inside her beak and throat to see if there is any obstruction.

Is she able to eat or drink?
How is her poop?
What does her crop feel like - is it emptying properly?

You mention they were permanently moved outside, spend days in run, but come back inside your house at night? Do you have a coop outside for them to live in?

Does she sneeze when outside or is it just when she is brought back inside?

Thanks for the reply.

I can get a video of her tonight when I get home.

Her nostrils don't seem to be blocked. A few times I've wiped away some crustiness from near there, but not that often considering how often she sneezes.

She eats/drinks like normal.
Poop is fine.
I'm not sure what I would be feeling for in her crop.

There is a coop outside they live in connected that is connected to the run. She sneezes when she is in the coop as well.

And when I say she sneezes every 15 seconds, I am not exaggerating. It's been like that for days now.

And I should have said, the sneezing started when we brought her outside. When they lived exclusively indoors, this was not an issue.

Thanks for the reply.

I can get a video of her tonight when I get home.

Her nostrils don't seem to be blocked. A few times I've wiped away some crustiness from near there, but not that often considering how often she sneezes.

She eats/drinks like normal.
Poop is fine.
I'm not sure what I would be feeling for in her crop.

There is a coop outside they live in connected that is connected to the run. She sneezes when she is in the coop as well.

And when I say she sneezes every 15 seconds, I am not exaggerating. It's been like that for days now.

Quote:
Most of the time sneezing with discharge is a respiratory disease, but with onset of symptoms being when moved outside, it make me suspect it's something in the environment.
What type of bedding do you use?
Any chance she has gotten into any moldy leaves, hay, etc.?
Did the coop house any other chicken before them or is this your first one?
Any changes to feed?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to think of anything besides respiratory disease.
The only other thing I can think of is isolate her - bring her back inside with food/water and house her for a couple of days like you had her before going outside permanently. If the sneezing stops, then something is irritating her outside. If it doesn't stop, then I would suspect some type of respiratory illness.

0.jpg

This is our chicken sneezing about 8 times in 70 seconds.

The bedding is standard pine bedding from Tractor Supply.
Everything in the coop (and the coop itself) is brand new as it was chickens just became legal in my town.
The feed is the same since they were babies.

I was going to go with the isolation route, but wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas.

Thanks for posting the video. She is snicking/sneezing quite often. You may want to try some VetRx to see if that will help.
Usually respiratory illness is accompanied by a few more symptoms, not always and can't rule that out.
Hopefully someone else may have a better idea.

Thanks.

We've been using VetRX for the past few days, but it hasn't done anything yet. I'm going to bring her back in the house to see if there's any change.

Thanks.

We've been using VetRX for the past few days, but it hasn't done anything yet. I'm going to bring her back in the house to see if there's any change.

That would be a good idea.
I will be interested to see if she improves when moved back inside or if it sneezing persists.

Please keep us updated on her progress.

Back
Top Bottom