6 week old chicks - ok to continue with starter feed?

Wisegirl99

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2018
I have six week old chicks. I read that when they are this age, that I should switch to grower feed. However, I have a lot of starter feed left. Can I continue to give them the starter feed until it runs out? I'm guessing I have at least another month worth of starter feed.

Also, when they are 10 weeks old, I think that's when I will be putting them with the adult hens. What kind of feed can I give them at that time that will also be ok for the adults hens to eat as well? Because I'm sure the adult hens will be getting into the chicks feed.

I have six week old chicks. I read that when they are this age, that I should switch to grower feed. However, I have a lot of starter feed left. Can I continue to give them the starter feed until it runs out? I'm guessing I have at least another month worth of starter feed.

Also, when they are 10 weeks old, I think that's when I will be putting them with the adult hens. What kind of feed can I give them at that time that will also be ok for the adults hens to eat as well? Because I'm sure the adult hens will be getting into the chicks feed.

Yes, continue with the starter feed, no need to waste it.
If you are going to integrate them with the hens, you can use an all flock/flock raiser feed for everyone. Provide oyster shell free choice for your layers.
I wouldn't worry about the adults eating chick starter, you just don't want chicks that young to eat layer feed (too much calcium for them and usually too low in protein). Layer feed is formulated for actively laying birds.

Personally, I only feed an all flock type feed year round, everyone can eat it regardless of age.

My 2¢

The only reason to switch to grower is if you need to slow down their growth rate. Grower tends to be lower in protein, somewhere around 15%. I personally have never bought it, I suspect that the folks raising meat birds or really large breeds might?

I usually just feed mine a starter or an all flock feed. Either one is higher in protein than a layer feed, which I like. Since I give mine treats, it will lower the protein so that it all evens out. I offer oyster shell in a separate container.

Now, if I feed my older girls starter, I make sure it's non medicated.

Back
Top Bottom