6 week old chicks w cocci

Klwright1122

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Lillian, AL
I have a couple chicks with cocci. This is the second day they have been on corrid and appear to be doing better. They are drinking water, chirping much more and even eating ocassionally, but their poop is thick and congealed like jelly and bloody. Yesterday it was more mucus-like, and not as bloody. Is the medicine working then? I mean, they seem livelier today then yesterday, but if I had to gauge it by their poop--I wouldn't say that.
Can anyone tell me what to expect over the next few days? I'm just not sure what is normal. Never had cocci in my coop before.

I think you may just be seeing all of the blood and mucus coming out now from the damage inside. It is probably very good that you noticed the illness and got the Corid started in time, especially since they are doing better. Just make sure that everyone is drinking the Corid for 5 days, since one of the symptoms is that they can stop drinking because of the abdominal pain. Make sure that you give vitamins and a probiotic such as a small amount of buttermilk after the treatment is finished for a couple of days. Then 3 weeks later you might want to give a "preventative" dose of Corid for another 5 days. That dose is 1/3 of the treatment dose you are now giving. Here is a link about cocci: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Back
Top Bottom