6 week old EE

QuebecChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am not only a first time owner of EE, but also first time owner of chickens.

I was sold this one as an ameraucana, but her toes were white and legs dark. I think this disqualifies her as a true Ameraucana am I right? Most breeders here sell EE chicks as ameraucanas. They are beautiful none the less and the blue green eggs are what drew me to them in the first place.

SO, this little one was sold as a pullet. I only have younger chicks as reference but I was shocked to notice her comb grew much wider in the last few days and it also turned dark pink/red yesterday.

As I said he/she is 6 weeks old. Any chance an experiences eye could place a bet on this one's gender? Thanks you so much!

Marie

Last edited:
Not necessarily, here's a link from the Ameraucana Breeder's site:
http://ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html
bluelf.jpg

I'm not an expert, but I am thinking that they turn darker as they get more mature.

Your chick looks like a rooster to me, his comb is too big and red for a 6 week old.

Last edited:
Thank you for this quick answer!

I think it must be a too too. :*(

I'm a newbie and I didn't know better but to believe the farmer when he hand picked two 2 weeks old chicks that he swore he could tell were females. I returned the first one two weeks later when it grew an obvious very red and clearly divided in thee rows. This one was a bit younger so it didn't show then.

I have three other chicks. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will at least have one pullet in the bunch. The other ones are just three weeks so Ill be back with pictured when they are older.

Ill wait an other week or two and bring this little guy back where he came from if it keeps developing in to a roo. I would love to have a too but the neighbours are not far enough and want nothing to do with their ''singing'' ;)

Back
Top Bottom