6 week old gender guesses

They all look like girls.
#1 is a cuckoo marans, not a BR.
This had me doing some quick research, since my Barred Rock pullet looks a lot like the one posted, and I can't remember how my old girl looked as a young pullet. I read a post that said that if the legs are yellow, that it's a Barred Rock, and if they're pink, it's a Cuckoo Marans. Mine are for sure yellow, so I am fairly certain that I have who I am supposed to have. Hard to tell from the poster's photo whether it has pink legs.

I could be entirely incorrect, but I am here to learn!

Attached is a photo of "Silly Sylvia" at 4 weeks (named by my 4 year old daughter.) I am also keeping an eye on that comb, believe me!

Attachments

• Sylvia.jpg
    Sylvia.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 16
What's the indicator that helps you tell the difference? Because I'm about to have both in my flock.

The barring on a BR is very clear and defined. The barring on a Cuckoo Marans is is more blurred.

Here is my BR compared with a photo of a Cuckoo Marans from the internet.

BR:
Marble portrait.jpeg

Cuckoo Marans:
1620917165880.png

The legs of a BR are also yellow, while the legs of a Marans are pink. Here are pictures of the legs (both from the internet).

BR:
BR legs.jpg

Cuckoo marans:
Cuckoo marans legs.jpg

This had me doing some quick research, since my Barred Rock pullet looks a lot like the one posted, and I can't remember how my old girl looked as a young pullet. I read a post that said that if the legs are yellow, that it's a Barred Rock, and if they're pink, it's a Cuckoo Marans. Mine are for sure yellow, so I am fairly certain that I have who I am supposed to have. Hard to tell from the poster's photo whether it has pink legs.

I could be entirely incorrect, but I am here to learn!

Attached is a photo of "Silly Sylvia" at 4 weeks (named by my 4 year old daughter.) I am also keeping an eye on that comb, believe me!

Yep, that's a Barred Rock!

Back
Top Bottom