6 week old orpington staggering

Lduvet

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi, I have a 6 week old lavender orpington chick who can walk, but when she turns or bears weight unevenly her legs will buckle. At first I thought it just affected the right leg but appears to be the same on the left side now too. This has been developing for about 3 days. She is bright and eating drinking fine, she can run when she wants to keep food away from the others but will buckle when she does so. Her adult feathers have also come in quite ragged. They have been vaccinated for mareks but this was only a week ago - I know it is meant to be done in day old chicks but we weren't able to source the vaccine until much later. The other 6 chicks are totally fine. She is a lovely chick, so friendly, and I would hate to lose her. She is on meloxicam and have ordered a vitamin b supplement

This might be a nutritional issue, try to get her some B vitamins, Vitamin A, vitamin E, or maybe a multi vitamin mineral supplement like Rooster Booster poultry cell along with a B complex vitamin.

I discovered she had coccidiosis, which has now been treated, but she is still the same. She sinks down on her hocks a lot although she can walk fine. If other chicks bump into her she occasionally falls right over. Muscling on legs not as good as other chicks I think. She has been on b vitamins prior to coccidiosis treatment and on multivits. Eating and drinking fine. She still has retained pin feathers and seems to have slowed feather development. I am rather desperate to do something for her

I would concentrate on getting her to eat and drink well, and the b complex supplement can be helpful, 1/4 tablet daily crushed and added to a spoonful of water or a little food. Coccidiosis can damage the gut and put them behind. Probiotics may also be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom