6 week old Peking duck can't walk properly

Yes I took him to the vet and she thinks it was a niacin deficiency in the beginning and also from being on a slippery surface for a short amount of time. Then he went through a major growth spurt and the leg that was always somewhat twisted inward couldn't support him anymore. So it splayed forward and he held the other behind him to try to support. He just kept growing and couldn't keep his legs under him or walk at all. So she suggested switching him to a maintenance diet so he quit putting on so much weight and lots of swimming because it would help him use his legs properly without weight on them. Also flipping him over and working his legs like manually holding them where they belong and moving them as if he would when walking to work the muscles. She said that she saw a whole flock of swans that had the same problem and with lots of "swan fat camp" and water therapy they all were able to get their legs back under him and walk again. So... I changed his bedding from pine shavings to indoor outdoor carpet which helped a bit with the slipping until it got wet.. But it was easy to spray off with the hose when dirty and change with new. And lots of swimming and I also built him a walker that he would sit in a lot to keep weight off his legs. He didnt walk in it too much but he did try some. I think just keeping the weight off is what helped the most. And it eventually got warmer outside and I was able to move him out where on the grass he has lots of traction and actually can keep his feet under him. He walks kind of.. Bow legged and pigeon toed.. But he walks and he could not before at all. I don't know if he will ever be totally normal but he gets where he needs to go. My other duck keeps him busy because they refuse to be apart. And he's able to get in and out their pool that's burried down in the ground. Hope it helps!!

Yes, he has some steps to get out he manages with. He actually kinda just flaps and flys right out

Back
Top Bottom