6 week old- sour crop??

ReadyvilleBird

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2018
So I just learned what sour crop is this last week when my silkie, about six weeks old, died after puking and having an enlarged crop. To make me feel better, I picked up four new chicks yesterday, all about six weeks old as well. They are all acting completely normal and very energetic but the frizzle has an enlarged pudgy crop just like the silkie did. If she has a sour crop then she had it before I got her but she is currently eating doumor 16% chick feed and drinking water with HydroHen supplement and Corid. I am going to suspend the use of Corid for now since that could be killing the good bacteria in her crop but I need to know what steps to take to fix her problem before it becomes serious. I will be broken if I lose my frizzle to this. What steps should I take with supplies that are easily obtainable? All help is appreciated !

What type of feed? 16% protein is usually a layer ration. Your chicks need a chick starter. I wouldn't medicate or add things to the water unless necessary. What type of bedding are you using? It us extremely unusual for a young chick to get crop problems.

I would keep giving the Corid. Coccidiosis can be common at that age and sometimes is responsible for a puffy slow crop in chicks. There is nothing in Corid that will wipe out the good gut bacteria. It is not an antibiotic, but mimics thiamine, so I would give it for 5-7 days. Are your chicks getting granite grit, and are they out on grass? Impacted crop happens before sour crop. Does she have a sour or bad odor from her beak? Is her crop full and puffy before she eats in the morning? What do the poops look like? Crop problems don’t occur that much in chicks.

What type of feed? 16% protein is usually a layer ration. Your chicks need a chick starter. I wouldn't medicate or add things to the water unless necessary. What type of bedding are you using? It us extremely unusual for a young chick to get crop problems.
I’m using 20% starter. Im not sure why I was thinking 16. Are use thick paper so the chicks aren’t eating anything they’re not supposed to. I used to use wood chips. The only reason I was using Corid is because I had a chick die of cocci earlier this year but for now I will suspend the use of it. For tonight, I gave all the chicks in the brooder fresh water with half a capsule of probiotics mixed into 1 pint of water. I have Monistat, otherwise known as yeast infection cream and liquid, on standby in case I confirm that it is a sour crop. Since I have never done this before advice is much needed and appreciated. If there are better solutions to handle sour and impacted crops early on like apple cider vinegar or something else, let me know. Thanks

I would keep giving the Corid. Coccidiosis can be common at that age and sometimes is responsible for a puffy slow crop in chicks. There is nothing in Corid that will wipe out the good gut bacteria. It is not an antibiotic, but mimics thiamine, so I would give it for 5-7 days. Are your chicks getting granite grit, and are they out on grass? Impacted crop happens before sour crop. Does she have a sour or bad odor from her beak? Is her crop full and puffy before she eats in the morning? What do the poops look like? Crop problems don’t occur that much in chicks.
I don’t necessarily smell anything coming from her beak but her crop feels too much like a silkie that I lost a week ago from sour crop. I came to that conclusion after the chick became lethargic with a very enlarged and bloated crop and passed a few days later while puking. I will continue the corid and probiotics in there water. I now have a chick that is congested, sneezing and discharging from the beak so any meds etc that will help both

Also, at her age, she is still in a brooder. So no grass or grit. Just 20% starter feed

Back
Top Bottom