6-Week Update on My Unknowns

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Previous thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-unknown-chicks-week-3.1497092/

There are no visible bars on any of the blues anymore so I guess it was just an oddity of the developing lacing. I can no longer tell the blue chicks that had the yellow wash from the ones that didn't. I'll watch for signs of red leakage to reveal possible Production Blues from my assortment.

I don't see any yellow-skinned blue birds yet, though I haven't individually examined the undersides of all the feet, but when I need to sort Blue Plymouth Tint from Blue Australorp that ought to be the tell if I understand correctly.

Here's the red chick, aka "Hot Wings". She has indeed lost her patterning and developed really YELLOW yellow legs:

1102210910c.jpg

I really cannot tell one red breed from another except for knowing that Production Red hens have a lot of white in them. :)

Previous thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-unknown-chicks-week-3.1497092/

There are no visible bars on any of the blues anymore so I guess it was just an oddity of the developing lacing. I can no longer tell the blue chicks that had the yellow wash from the ones that didn't. I'll watch for signs of red leakage to reveal possible Production Blues from my assortment.

I don't see any yellow-skinned blue birds yet, though I haven't individually examined the undersides of all the feet, but when I need to sort Blue Plymouth Tint from Blue Australorp that ought to be the tell if I understand correctly.

Here's the red chick, aka "Hot Wings". She has indeed lost her patterning and developed really YELLOW yellow legs:

View attachment 2885612

I really cannot tell one red breed from another except for knowing that Production Red hens have a lot of white in them. :)
Hot Wings! Ha! Love it!
🤣

I am NOT a red chicken expert (I only own one, and she's a mess), but your girl really looks like a red sex link of some sort with all the white. But I've not seen one with such a white face before. I really think it's pretty. And her coloring as a chick didn't look like the handful of red sexlink chicks I've seen...

But I hope those experts let you know. I wanna know, too! 😂

Not sure if it helps you at all, but here are my RSL (described as 'Our Brown Egg Layers area healthy cross between a White Rock egg-layer type female and a Rhode Island Red male') at about 17 weeks. Mine never had any white on their faces but had very yellow legs.

IMG_20200425_100136696.jpg IMG_20200425_100145156.jpg

Back
Top Bottom