6 weeks - do I have a rooster?

nihil

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
We got our flock from a feed store on 7/10 and everything has been progressing nicely.

We have 2 welsummers, 2 barred rocks & 2 rhode island reds.

One of the RIR has already developed a pronounced comb and under beak flaps so I'm afraid its a rooster (and not long for the flock, unfortunately).

Any thoughts?

Not necessarily. Comb and waddle sizes will vary a fair amount in these. I'd give it a few more weeks.

Last edited:
Thx - I'll keep my fingers crossed

BTW, sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Sorry. It wise to say what the previous posters stated, as such is normally the case. But since I see these everyday, as we breed Reds, that is indeed a cockerel. Hatchery quality, production type. Nice lookin' little guy.

The "under beak flaps'? Those are wattles.
smile.png

Last edited:
Sorry. It wise to say what the previous posters stated, as such is normally the case. But since I see these everyday, as we breed Reds, that is indeed a cockerel. Hatchery quality, production type. Nice lookin' little guy.

The "under beak flaps'? Those are wattles.
smile.png

Well that's a bummer. Wasn't looking for a roo as we're pretty close to our neighbors and would like to avoid noise complaints.

Thanks for the terminology lesson :)

Are RIR roo's traditionally loud?

If this is a roo, I'm faced with two choices: 1) rehome him (as I'm not too interested in butchering him) to make room for two Easter Eggers that my wife wants or, 2) stick it out an see if he's all that loud/aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom