6 weeks no eggs Combs look pale

Jo Anne

Songster
11 Years
Feb 1, 2013
My hens combs do not look as bright as they do in the summer. I have given them vitiatimin and electrolits in their water, protein treats, scratch etc. Along with their regular feed. No eggs since mid December.

My hens combs do not look as bright as they do in the summer. I have given them vitiatimin and electrolits in their water, protein treats, scratch etc. Along with their regular feed. No eggs since mid December.

It is very common for hens to not lay eggs during the winter. The reduced day light plus the cold temps make for lower egg counts. I have 9 BO hens that right now are being total free loaders :lau so I understand the frustration. As far as the combs, it is typical in the winter for them to lose their redness that they exhibit when they are in lay. In fact, as winter turns into spring I can tell which of my girls are back online by the color of her comb. Lets me know who is still on strike.

I would not worry. Its strange to have to go to the store to buy eggs when you have a flock of chickens in your backyard. But during the winters that is pretty much the standard quo. Some people put lights in the coop to encourage the hens to lay throughout the winter, but even then numbers will be lower than during the summer.

I just let my girls do their thing. Even if it means them free loading for a while. I just let them take a little break, everyone needs a vaca once in a while.

I would not worry at this point, either, unless they are exhibiting other symptoms. Maybe examine them to make sure they are not wasting away under their feathers.
For me, since my chickens are pets and not for food (though the eggs ARE a nice bonus!), I actually like it if they take a break, as the laying can be so hard on their little bodies.

Thanks everyone.... I. Knew they wouldn't lay but last year it didn't seem this long without. I am a fan of letting them rest their bodies. I was really concerned about their combs looking so pale. Cool, I learn so much here thank y ou.
It is very common for hens to not lay eggs during the winter. The reduced day light plus the cold temps make for lower egg counts. I have 9 BO hens that right now are being total free loaders :lau so I understand the frustration. As far as the combs, it is typical in the winter for them to lose their redness that they exhibit when they are in lay. In fact, as winter turns into spring I can tell which of my girls are back online by the color of her comb. Lets me know who is still on strike.

I would not worry. Its strange to have to go to the store to buy eggs when you have a flock of chickens in your backyard. But during the winters that is pretty much the standard quo. Some people put lights in the coop to encourage the hens to lay throughout the winter, but even then numbers will be lower than during the summer.

I just let my girls do their thing. Even if it means them free loading for a while. I just let them take a little break, everyone needs a vaca once in a while.

Just a normal break in the laying cycle caused by the molt and shortened day length. Days are getting longer, and in a couple of weeks they will lay again.

Back
Top Bottom