6 weeks old! Outside overnight?

Jelibaen

Chirping
Aug 15, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Hello all! Daisy and Darkwing are HUGE now, and nearly fully feathered. Their wings and tails havent come in fully yet but they have lots of blood feathers going. This is their inside to outside travel bin.
I'm putting them out in the coop with the 6 big girls today. This is my expected temp range for the next week. Can they stay outside overnight?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210925-093949_Weather.png
    Screenshot_20210925-093949_Weather.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 16325845443173972101090222539282.jpg
    16325845443173972101090222539282.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 7
If it got down to 50 at night I would say they're fine, but in those temperatures I would wait until their adult feathers are 100% grown in. Anywhere there is still fluff that's just cold air getting to their skin. Picture duck feathers like a coat, contour feathers which are the outer more stuff feathers block wind, rain snow etc. And their down feathers are well down which insulate. Putting them out now would be the equivalent of going outside with a coat that has holes in the exterior shell exposing the fill/down to the elements/cold air. Now if you have a way to supplement heat for them in the coop they would be fine.

If it got down to 50 at night I would say they're fine, but in those temperatures I would wait until their adult feathers are 100% grown in. Anywhere there is still fluff that's just cold air getting to their skin. Picture duck feathers like a coat, contour feathers which are the outer more stuff feathers block wind, rain snow etc. And their down feathers are well down which insulate. Putting them out now would be the equivalent of going outside with a coat that has holes in the exterior shell exposing the fill/down to the elements/cold air. Now if you have a way to supplement heat for them in the coop they would be fine.
Sorry I forgot to mention these are in Celsius. Its only getting to about 46F here at night but I can add a heat source!

If you decide to add a heat source make sure to double-check it is attached really well and that it is only giving them minimum warmth, You don't want them to chill but you don't want them to overheat. You want them to slowly acclimate to the outside temps.

Back
Top Bottom