Are my 5-week old runner ducks feathered enough to join their older sisters outside (and what's the best way to get them used to each other)?

Nov 22, 2023
Northeast Florida
Hi there! Happy Sunday!

I'm attaching a photo of my 5-week old blue bibbed (?) runner ducklings, which I received from a nice family down in South Florida who hatched eggs from their own happy backyard ducks. Their big feathers are coming in WAY faster than my first batch of (Metzer) ducklings, who weren't fully feathered til around 10 weeks!! The runners go outside with my four fully feathered 12-week old ducks during most days now. The two groups remain in separate flocks throughout the day in their 1000-sq ft duck pen that surrounds the coop, and the older girls are still chasing the babies around with their heads down low to the ground and their beaks wide open lol. I am still taking the runner ducklings inside to sleep at night, and they've only been in the coop (inside a circular puppy playpen) with the big ducks once, last week, and seemed really scared so we haven't yet tried it again.

Anyway, I'm so over brooding in the house--I'm buying two of those big bags of the horse bedding pine pellets from TSC every 2-3 days. My house stinks like a barn. I've already decided that future ducklings will be hatched and brooded by Muscovy mamas because brooding ducklings in the house is just too much work + stinky.

I'm in Northeast Florida, with lows in the mid-40s/50s and highs in the 60s/70s this upcoming week. Do my runners look fully feathered enough to sleep outside in the hoop coop (photos attached)? They still have some down fluff, but most of their big feathers are in, and when they swim in the pool, the water just beads right off their feathers.

When they ARE ready to sleep outside, I'd love some advice on how best to get the two flocks acclimated to each other. I have a dog crate that they could sleep in, inside the hoop coop...I could put another tarp over the top of the coop to protect more floor space from rain. But there are five runners and I think it'd be kind of cramped in a dog crate overnight. Hmm...maybe my husband could use that green plastic garden netting/fencing to make a separate space in the hoop coop for the little ducklings. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this successfully? I'd love the two flocks to become one flock soon, instead of having two separate flocks that don't like each other, so I want to do whatever it takes to help them get used to each other.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240218_081404.jpg
    20240218_081404.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20240115_152612.jpg
    20240115_152612.jpg
    879.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20240122_165050.jpg
    20240122_165050.jpg
    922.4 KB · Views: 58
Hi there! Happy Sunday!

I'm attaching a photo of my 5-week old blue bibbed (?) runner ducklings, which I received from a nice family down in South Florida who hatched eggs from their own happy backyard ducks. Their big feathers are coming in WAY faster than my first batch of (Metzer) ducklings, who weren't fully feathered til around 10 weeks!! The runners go outside with my four fully feathered 12-week old ducks during most days now. The two groups remain in separate flocks throughout the day in their 1000-sq ft duck pen that surrounds the coop, and the older girls are still chasing the babies around with their heads down low to the ground and their beaks wide open lol. I am still taking the runner ducklings inside to sleep at night, and they've only been in the coop (inside a circular puppy playpen) with the big ducks once, last week, and seemed really scared so we haven't yet tried it again.

Anyway, I'm so over brooding in the house--I'm buying two of those big bags of the horse bedding pine pellets from TSC every 2-3 days. My house stinks like a barn. I've already decided that future ducklings will be hatched and brooded by Muscovy mamas because brooding ducklings in the house is just too much work + stinky.

I'm in Northeast Florida, with lows in the mid-40s/50s and highs in the 60s/70s this upcoming week. Do my runners look fully feathered enough to sleep outside in the hoop coop (photos attached)? They still have some down fluff, but most of their big feathers are in, and when they swim in the pool, the water just beads right off their feathers.

When they ARE ready to sleep outside, I'd love some advice on how best to get the two flocks acclimated to each other. I have a dog crate that they could sleep in, inside the hoop coop...I could put another tarp over the top of the coop to protect more floor space from rain. But there are five runners and I think it'd be kind of cramped in a dog crate overnight. Hmm...maybe my husband could use that green plastic garden netting/fencing to make a separate space in the hoop coop for the little ducklings. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this successfully? I'd love the two flocks to become one flock soon, instead of having two separate flocks that don't like each other, so I want to do whatever it takes to help them get used to each other.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I always use the look but don't touch approach and keep an eye on mine. Since you are where it is warmer than me they would be probably just fine outside. I would make sure you watch them closely though so that they don't get picked on. Mine are usually 6 weeks old before I put them all together. Mine have plenty of places to hide so they can get away from the others when they need to. Usually mine adapt really well. I have Runners, Rouen, Muscovy, Call, Khaki Campbell, Mallards and a Mule altogether. I hope yours adjust soon. There is bound to be some picking but just watch closely to make sure no feather pulling or blood drawn. It's normal for them to chase and show who is boss of the duck pen.

I'm in Northeast Florida as well, and I imagine the temps would be fine, but I usually keep my ducklings indoors for awhile, especially if it's during the cooler months. So I don't really have any experience with that.

For integrating with the rest of the flock, I like to keep them with some kind of fence/wire barrier between them at first, if at all possible. It helps if they can get used to each other without being able to physically touch. They start seeing them as part of the flock then.

Good luck with integrating them! Raising ducklings is so much fun but yes they can be soooo messy. I've never seen anything messier than ducklings, and I used to have 5 dogs lol.

When I had my last 4 Runners to start integrating I used a dog X pen put them into it during the day right out with everyone. That way they were all together but no one could pick on them they were 7 weeks old. At night they slept in a large dog crate inside the coop and I did this for 2 weeks. By then everyone was used to the new girls.

Thank you, everyone! They are still getting used to each other...little ones are not sleeping in the coop yet because the youngest one is still growing in his/her big wing feathers and I worry they'll get cold. But we put them out in the duck pen to forage almost every day, and though the big girls are still chasing the little ones, it sees less severe. I think they're getting used to each other. :)

Update! My husband divided off a section of the hoop coop for our younger ducklings. Tomorrow night will be the last time (for at least a week) that lows will dip to the low 40s...after that, 50s and 60s! So Sunday night will be our last night brooding our ducklings in the house (unless another cold snap surprises us). This has been awesome, and I'm excited to watch our two little broods become one flock! :)

20240224_150207.jpg 20240224_150212.jpg

Aww I love an integrated flock! It's so nice when everyone is together and has lots of friends. I currently have 2 duck aviaries but I'd love for it to be 1 big one. It was made to be but I just haven't managed to integrate everyone yet!

Aww I love an integrated flock! It's so nice when everyone is together and has lots of friends. I currently have 2 duck aviaries but I'd love for it to be 1 big one. It was made to be but I just haven't managed to integrate everyone yet!
What breeds do you have? I am planning to get two adult female Muscovy soon (to hatch and brood future ducklings) but I am going to wait until my big girl ducks accept the ducklings as part of their flock. Hopefully it will be soon. 🙂

I think if you have a big enough pen you can put just about any ducks together. I have a Mule Duck, 2 Muscovy Hens, 3 Runner Duck Hens, 2 Mallards Hens, 2 Khaki Campbell Hen, 2 Rouen Hens, one Runner Duck Drake and 2 small Call Drakes. Everyone gets along just fine. I am adding two more Call Ducks soon.

Back
Top Bottom