6 wk chick is molting heavily. Is this normal or not?

Coccidia would show up mainly as lethargy, possibly bloody poops. It's internal, not a skin parasite.

Don't know how much time you have to be able to watch their behavior, but I'd keep an eye on how the group is interacting. If there's picking going on, from another chick, it should be obsessed enough to do it pretty regularly.
I did sit and observe behavior. I have remove there dust bath as it seemed to be causing picking at eachother. They are about ready to go outside, so I hope this will help. I've examined all the birds, stoops and coop for evidence of lice or mites, even used a flashlight at night and I've not found any. I really appreciate your advice, thank you.

Something is eating those feathers as they emerge.

It has got to be a 6/8 legged invertebrate or 2 legged poultry!

Oh yes, that should help - they'll be distracted by the new environment and have much more to explore, and will hopefully not return to "entertaining" themselves by picking at each other.
So they all got outside yesterday and all is going well. As you said, lots to see and more places to hide. They also have a caged outdoor area that safe from the older birds and predators.
Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom