6 wk chick not able to use legs to stand, walk or right itself UPDATE

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
This came on all of a sudden. Im not sure but it may have fallen from a tree, maybe due to not have full control over feet and legs.
It has been four days now and Im not seeing any improvement. It eats well, is alert and tries to play with its friend. They tumble and lay in the shade together. It just sings and sings and its little tail is just wagging 90 miles per hour. I am keeping it with me and it sleeps inside in a little box or my arms. Im hoping someone has experience they can share with me in this very odd situation. Oh and its poo looks pretty normal to me. He did have a few runny eliminations but mostly is it firm and very normal looking.
Most of the time it seems to prefer having its right leg extended out in front and left leg extended to the back. I moved the legs and the joints are flexible and his legs fold into a more normal chicken laying position. Im thinking it prefers the extensions to help keep rights. If he rolls over to side or back he is unable to right himself.

Ill appreciate ANY insight into what ever you think may be going on with this precious baby.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply and bump. I was contacted via private email by Sarah (littlecluckers) that my baby most likely has Mareks. Im taking the best of care of him and right now he/she is in a protected area of the yard with its buddy. Even though it cannot walk or get around on its own, it just loves laying in the shade and relishes when his little friend comes and tumbles, plays and then just lays with him. They are so cute together. They were the only two hatched from a clutch of 9 eggs and so they are very close and dependent on each other for a feeling of security and happiness. Im going to let nature takes it course with her. I figure all the others have been exposed to whatever has taken hold of her and none have shown any symptoms. I read that Mareks virus is EVERYWHERE. I expect if that is true, the immune survive without symptoms, the strong survive an outbreak and the weak just dont make it. That is my theory anyway. The virus cant be EVERYWHERE without all having exposure. I liken it in my mind to human mumps, measles, or chicken pox. We all are exposed as children and most survive just fine with a dormant form of the virus in our body. Im not going to give up on her, not as long as she seems to be happy and enjoying life.

Here is a pic of the two buddies just takin it easy as I say. She is the black one:
10007_takin_it_easy_sick_baby_and_friend.jpg

I wanted to give an update on Baby, my paralyzed chick. She is doing really well. I learned that it just might be a vitamin B deficiency causing her paralysis and so it has been 5 days into intensive vit B administration. She is walking normal, flapping her wings normally, and doing her regular grooming and bug hunting. Im keeping her isolated for now as she is not really able to fend off any form of aggression well enough to put her with the others. I am so glad I did not listen to advice to cull her as she probably had Mereks. Please let this be a learning opportunity to all. Spread the word to not assume Mereks. Instead assume vit B deficiency, especially if the bird shows now signs of feeling ill, only paralysis or difficulty standing or walking.

Yes, she is. She is out acting very normal and with the others currently. I still put her in a little box up by the others who are roosting just in case her legs arnt strong enough for an all nighter on them.

Do pass the word. As long as there are no other symptoms to indicate Merek's, please give vit B a try. I used my high potency multi B. Im not sure that polyvisol is has enough potency.

Last edited:
Quote:
Additional information regarding vit B. I learned from a friend that Nutritional Yeast is loaded with B vitamins. I just got back from the health food store with a couple of pounds of it. Im going to add it to my chicken's treats to make sure they are all getting what they need.

Tell me more about the vitamin B. What is it? What form is it in? How do you administer it? Where did you purchase it? I may be going through the same thing.

I used a high potency multi B vitamin crushed up to treat Baby. Now I have the nutritional yeast which I bought in bulk from a health food store in the SF bay area, William's is the name. Some folks are more familiar with Marmite or Vegemite products but it is the same thing. The dry nutritional yeast will be a lot easier to use, just sprinkle it in the food.
What is going on with your or your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom