6 wk Chicks are Attacking their Mother! Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OregonChicks, Aug 8, 2008.

1. OregonChicks

OregonChicks New Egg

Aug 8, 2008
    Hi Everyone! This is my first post on this forum!! I had one of my americauna hens go broody a few months ago. We didn't have a rooster so I got some Rhode Island Red eggs from a neighbor and the hen hatched out 6 chicks! Very exciting as I didn't think the americaunas would go broody and this is my first experience with chickens and hatching. Anyway, I just reintroduced the mother and 6 week old babies back to the regular flock during the day. The chicks have their own cage where they go at back to roost night - the mother went back to the hen house the first opportunity she had. My other americaunas leave the chicks and mother alone. My Bovan Brown Hens (hybrid breed) hassle the chicks very minimally - but brutally attack the mother. Yesterday I noticed that the baby chicks are also attacking their mother. One chick (I think is a rooster) jumped on her back of it's mother and started pulling out neck feathers. He doesn't do this with his "siblings" or any of the other chickens - it is as if he is just copying the "bully" hens! This is so strange to me...has anyone else experienced this and how can I reintegrate the poor mama back to her flock?? She did such a great job with her first batch of eggs - I just hate to see her mistreated by everyone. She is a nervous wreck.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Wow, I am sorry that I have no advice. That poor hen! I hope you find out what is going on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by