6 wk old chick walking backwards!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lauriruth, Oct 18, 2013.

1. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

6 wk old RIR pullet (?) has started taking a few steps backward, then sitting back on her haunches with feet off ground. she won't roost with the others. sits on the ground and sleeps. i've examined for injuries, but can find nothing. she stands and walks sometimes, but acts like there is weakness or something in her legs. any suggestions?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If it isn't an injury to the leg, or legs, it could be a nutritional problem.
    Encephalomalacia is a nutritional disorder that can be seen in chicks up to 8 weeks in age or more. I suspect this by your description. Chicks try to walk and fall forward or backward, sometimes they go in circles. Sometimes the head hangs forward, backward, or to the side. During later stages they lay on their sides with legs outstretched, toes flexed and there can be trembling.

Spoiled feed, nutritionally deficient feed, too much cod liver oil or soybean oil can cause this. First, you should separate the chick so the others don't target it for being weak. Put the chick in a comfortable, warm environment so it won't get chilled. Supply feed and treated water as I'm about to describe. Most feed stores carry Poultry Nutri-Drench. It is a fast absorbing oral remedy with A,D,E and additional nutrients. Here's what it looks like: http://www.bovidr.com/poultry.html
    Supplement water with vitamins-mineral powder mixing a fresh solution each day until symptoms disappear. If no damage is done to the bird's brain, it should recover. Supplementing vitamins in water for the rest of the flock would be beneficial too. I would suggest changing feed. What are you currently feeding them?

Here's some more info on nutritional deficiencies: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Bone up on range paralysis or Mareks disease. Not saying that your bird has it, but it seems like it is possible.

4. lauriruth

Michael Apple,
    Thanks so much for the info.
    They are on grower crumbles that the feed store gave me when i bought them. I went to another feed store today and purchased Purina grow crumbles. I will separate her first thing in the morning and go out again and get Nutri-Drench. I have infant (human) liquid vitamins in the chick first aid kit. Guess it can't hurt to give that to all of them (5) for a while?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Lauri

5. lauriruth

Michael,
    Thanks for the info. the description of the a D3 deficiency is EXACTLY what she is doing. I hope it's not too late to save her!

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. With the Nutri-Drench, give it straight out of the bottle instead of mixing it with feed, or putting it in water. The dropper that comes with it is clumsy, so if you have a 1 cc syringe without a needle, it would be easier to administer. You should only need about .5 cc dose for the bird. Avian Super Pack is also a superior form of water dispersible vitamins for water compared to others. Good luck and keep me posted.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by