6 wk old male duckling respiratory issue

BethAplinMartin

Chirping
Jul 26, 2021
Hi, very new to ducks. I searched the issue, just nothing seems to answer it so far and so hoping to get help/advice from folks with more experience.

Waddles, male, 6 weeks old, started having a strange nasal sound. No discharge from nares. I looked in his mouth and see nothing wrong there. Im linking to a vid and you can see his little tail tip flick up each breath. It almost sounds like he nedds a little extra effort to exhale.

They have access always to water they can get their heads submerged in and I have used the vetrx, but it didn't seem to help. He eats well, is active and bright eyed. Also attaching picture of Waddles and the outside porch area they stay intetmittently during the day. At night they live in tub in spare bathroom on towels changed daily with food and water available all night. Thanks in advance

video:

Attachments

• 20211015_090735.jpg
    20211015_090735.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211015_082700.jpg
    20211015_082700.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 3
Is there anything to hear on the video? Honestly, he looks well. I did see the body moving while breathing. Maybe try giving him some nutri-drench.
How long has this been going on?

Is there anything to hear on the video? Honestly, he looks well. I did see the body moving while breathing. Maybe try giving him some nutri-drench.
How long has this been going on?
It is hard to hear, sorry. You can hear it if turned all the way. He breathes in and then pause and the forced exhale which makes a kind of pop sound and at same time his tail taps. It's been a week. He has had a couple times he seemed to not feel good but perked up quickly in fact he seems more guarded these days and stands behind willow, where he usually acts as her body guard. I have not tried nutra drench. Will sure try it. Thank you

Can you hear any crackling when you put your ear to his chest? any coughing?
Good signs are that he is eating well and is bright and active. Other than trying an antibiotic but I really don't like to rec them unless there are significant outward signs of sickness and a vet would be best since they would know what would be best to treat with. Nutri drench is a really good product and can give his immune system a good boost. Oh and his chest looks really large, is one side larger than the other with looking at him head-on? do you know if he may have had an injury to his chest. Just wondering if he may have injured an air sac.

Can you hear any crackling when you put your ear to his chest? any coughing?
Good signs are that he is eating well and is bright and active. Other than trying an antibiotic but I really don't like to rec them unless there are significant outward signs of sickness and a vet would be best since they would know what would be best to treat with. Nutri drench is a really good product and can give his immune system a good boost. Oh and his chest looks really large, is one side larger than the other with looking at him head-on? do you know if he may have had an injury to his chest. Just wondering if he may have injured an air sac.
I'll listened to his chest and heard no crackling sounds. I'll get a good look at that chest symmetry in the morning and cpl head on pics while standing before and after eating. He had just eaten in that video and pic, so maybe just how he's laying? Thank you so much.

I have a Buff who gets an enlarged chest when she really pigs out, I noticed it more when she is up moving around though. Maybe what we're seeing is normal for your duckling. And possibly his breathing is just normal for him. If it was to get worse and coughing or discharge starts then it would be best to get him to a vet for a diagnosis and treatment. Fresh air and sunshine can help alot too. Do they have access to outside where they can forage around?

I have a Buff who gets an enlarged chest when she really pigs out, I noticed it more when she is up moving around though. Maybe what we're seeing is normal for your duckling. And possibly his breathing is just normal for him. If it was to get worse and coughing or discharge starts then it would be best to get him to a vet for a diagnosis and treatment. Fresh air and sunshine can help alot too. Do they have access to outside where they can forage around?
Good morning, thank you for the reply. They get to go out to the garden with me several times a day to forage and swim in their kiddie pool. The chest may be normal. I'm going to keep an eye today and get pictures. The breathing issue started about a week ago. I want to take his temp, but can't find the vent. 🤷‍♀️lol I do adore these little guys and wonder where ducks have been my while life.🥰 I only got chickens and guineas for the first time a few months ago. Waddles and Willow were taken in from someone who's 16 yo went to tractor supply and bought them, but they live in an apartment. lol

Back
Top Bottom