6mo old pullet's eye is swollen shut

🤦‍♀️ My brain is not working.

She is okay. Still eating and drinking, not showing any other symptoms. Her eye is still very swollen and she fights having it cleaned, is better behaved for the terramycin ointment and tylan.
It can be so stressful caring for a wounded or sick pet, I’m sure your mind is other places. Any luck on getting pus out if the eye?

It can be so stressful caring for a wounded or sick pet, I’m sure your mind is other places. Any luck on getting pus out if the eye?
I have been able to get some out, but it does not seem like it's nearly as much as what is in there.
My spare room is turning into a chicken hospital. I moved a salmon faverolle pullet inside this morning, her eyes are a little swollen and she is breathing heavily with her mouth open. She sounds like she has something gurgling in her chest.

My spare room is turning into a chicken hospital. I moved a salmon faverolle pullet inside this morning, her eyes are a little swollen and she is breathing heavily with her mouth open. She sounds like she has something gurgling in her chest.
A different chicken? Oh no, I hope she pulls through.

It can take a few tries over several days to get the eye cleaned. Be gentle, but sometimes QTips or a tool is needed. Flush with saline (2 tsp of table salt in 1 quart of water boiled and cooled.) Use either Terramycin eye ointment or plainTriple Antibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day. If there is a bad odor, sulfa antibiotic may be needed. If not, then Tylosin powder can be used in the water for 5 days.

It can take a few tries over several days to get the eye cleaned. Be gentle, but sometimes QTips or a tool is needed. Flush with saline (2 tsp of table salt in 1 quart of water boiled and cooled.) Use either Terramycin eye ointment or plainTriple Antibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day. If there is a bad odor, sulfa antibiotic may be needed. If not, then Tylosin powder can be used in the water for 5 days.
Thank you. I think I have been too gentle because I'm afraid to hurt her. I will have my wife wrap her in a towel instead of just holding her and try Q-tips to see if we can be more thorough flushing with saline as well.

Back
Top Bottom