6mo old pullet's eye is swollen shut

laelaps90

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
We have her isolated from the flock inside so she is safe from the heat and other hens. She has shown no other symptoms - no eye bubbles, sneezing, wheezing, etc. Still eating a little and drinking, temp is high at 108.1. None of our other hens are showing any symptoms. I have applied terramycin ointment, and have access to Tylan 50 and Duramycin. Any advice on what next steps to take, and what could be wrong with our girl is greatly appreciated!

I’m sorry your chicken is going through this, poor thing. Is there any odor? Are you able to see any kind of debris in there or injury to her eye? I can’t guide you well on antibiotic use, but hopefully someone more experienced here will see this and help.

I’m sorry your chicken is going through this, poor thing. Is there any odor? Are you able to see any kind of debris in there or injury to her eye? I can’t guide you well on antibiotic use, but hopefully someone more experienced here will see this and help.
It is kind of smelly but I can't put my finger on what to compare it to. I can rinse and clean around her eye, but unable to open in to see if there are any debris. I'm leaning towards an injury from pecking though

That looks like an infection. Do you have terramycin?

Irrigate the eye to get rid of all the puss, and then cover it with terramycin.
Thank you, yes I have terramycin and have already cleaned her eye and applied it.

We have her isolated from the flock inside so she is safe from the heat and other hens. She has shown no other symptoms - no eye bubbles, sneezing, wheezing, etc. Still eating a little and drinking, temp is high at 108.1. None of our other hens are showing any symptoms. I have applied terramycin ointment, and have access to Tylan 50 and Duramycin. Any advice on what next steps to take, and what could be wrong with our girl is greatly appreciated!
The eye needs to be flushed out, press out the pus and apply the Terramycin 2-3 times a day.
Pus will not dry up on its own.

Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
It will treat symptoms of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. It's still important to clean and remove the pus from the eye even if you administer and antibiotic.

The eye needs to be flushed out, press out the pus and apply the Terramycin 2-3 times a day.
Pus will not dry up on its own.

Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
It will treat symptoms of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. It's still important to clean and remove the pus from the eye even if you administer and antibiotic.
Thank you very much, I will start her on the Tylan50

Back
Top Bottom