Hen with swollen eye!

Nanisunshine97

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2024
Hello everyone I'm new here! I have a Bantam that Is 10 months old and she currently has just 1 extremely swollen eye that's leaking yellow pus from both eyes. The last 3 1/2 months she has had this swelling that comes and goes frequently after a bout of fowl pox. 2 months ago it cleared up and then went right back to being swollen again. My flock has not shown any signs of it being Mycoplasma so I'm at an absolute loss as to what this is! I have separated her and gave her some food which she foraged through for a few minutes and did drink some water. I cleaned both eyes lastnight and put in some ophthalmic gel in them, and put a dose of tylan 50 in her water. Any ideas as to what this could be? The only other symptoms she has is some labored breathing. She's definitely not gasping for air but it just seems like her breathing is a bit harder then normal.

Attachments

• 20240124_120754.jpg
    20240124_120754.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 30
Mycoplasma gallisepticum can be a secondary disease that can flare up after fowl pox. Tylan 50 is supposed to be given 1/4 ml per pound orally 3 times a day for 5 days, to be effective. If using Tylosin generic powder it is put in the water 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days. So I would try to remove or presse out any pus around the eye, and continue with the Tylan or get Tylosin from Jedds online. Use a warm wet wash cloth to clean any drainage from the face. The eye ointment should be applied twice a day.
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Back
Top Bottom