Bantam hen eye infection

Tiffy316

Songster
Mar 30, 2019
Hey, my sweet little old English game bantam hen seems to have an eye infection. It originally started in late November. I brought her in bc her eye was crusted over and she had a cold. I think it was crusted over with mucus.

Anyway, she got over her cold shortly after Christmas, but her eye is still swollen. It looks like she's got something in her eye that I can't squeeze out, and the eyelid is swollen. She can open in a little, but bc of the size and placement of it, I don't think she can see out of it.

What can I do to help her eye heal. Even if she won't be able to see out of it, I want to get rid of the infection.

Attachments

• 20240117_175103.jpg
    20240117_175103.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240117_175126.jpg
    20240117_175126.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 6
Here's your thread from December where you were given good advice on care, did you treat her with abx and put ointment in the eye?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/undiagnosed-upper-respiratory-infection.1606081/

To me it looks like she has pus in the eye that needs to be pressed out. Warm saline compresses may help loosen it a little so it will be easier. Pus will not dry up on its own and has to be removed. Once removed, keep the eye cleaned/flushed with saline and apply your ointment.

Is her eye still in there when you open it? Does it smell bad? What have you done for it so far?
It doesn't smell bad. I've been applying an antibiotic eye cream daily. I tried to press the puss out of her eye, but didn't have any luck.

Here's your thread from December where you were given good advice on care, did you treat her with abx and put ointment in the eye?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/undiagnosed-upper-respiratory-infection.1606081/

To me it looks like she has pus in the eye that needs to be pressed out. Warm saline compresses may help loosen it a little so it will be easier. Pus will not dry up on its own and has to be removed. Once removed, keep the eye cleaned/flushed with saline and apply your ointment.

I tried to press it out, but didn't have any luck. I tried to find that Tylosin stuff, but they were sold out so I gave her some liquid stuff that said it was natural antibiotics for pets instead. I've been putting antibiotic eye cream in her eye daily. If I can't press out the puss, what should I do to remove it? Would flushing with saline work?

Last edited:
I tried to press it out, but didn't have any luck. I tried to find that Tylosin stuff, but they were sold out so I gave her some liquid stuff that said it was natural antibiotics for pets instead. I've been putting antibiotic eye cream in her eye daily. If I can't press out the puss, what should I do to remove it? Would flushing with saline work?
Try warm compresses, flushing and pushing the pus out.

Sometimes it can be hard to source medications, so you have to check back frequently or search to see if you can find it somewhere else.

Try warm compresses, flushing and pushing the pus out.

Sometimes it can be hard to source medications, so you have to check back frequently or search to see if you can find it somewhere else.
She's over her respiratory infection, so I don't think I need that Tylosin stuff anymore. I'll try to find some warm compresses and saline solution and see if I can squeeze the puss out like they did in the video. Should I flush the eye every day once I get the puss out?

Back
Top Bottom