Swollen Eye Infection

Mar 24, 2024
I need some help/assistance with a roo that got an infected eye after a fight with another roo. Both are separated from each other. Beforehand, Joel (this rooster) got his left side pretty bad. I cleaned his wounds up with warm water and soap on a damp rag. I used dawns soap because I felt like I needed to act quickly and wanted to clean the wound before it got infected. Doing more research this was probably a bad idea to have soap around Joel's face. Again, it was in the moment. After cleaning him we put some antibiotics around his cuts. Then kept him separated from the flock for about 4 days. After releasing him back he was doing normal.

After a few days his left side face was swelling up. It got infected. It looks like there's pus (not exposed out of this face) around his left side face and eye area. It's very pale, whitish skin, and swollen. I don't know what he got, beside it is infected with something. He's behaving normally, crowing, eating and drinking. But he is irritated with the infection. I know that leaving it untreated can lead to eye loss, other infections, and or death.

I had roos that would fight each other before but none of them got infected before, this is the first. Is there any way to cure or drain methods or anything to make Joel better? We can't afford to take him to the Vet, so that's out of the question. I want to treat him quickly.

If you want more pictures, just let me know. Taking good pictures with your non-dominate hand sucks, especially with a huge phone.

Thank you.

eye_infected_roo1_cropped.jpg

Welcome To BYC

Looks like he has crusty debris covering the eye. I'd apply warm saline compresses to the eye to see if I could get that to loosen up and gently remove the crusties.
Press out any pus and generously flush with saline. Apply an eye ointment in the eye. Terramycin eye ointment can be found at stores like TSC or online. Original Neosporin can be used, if Terramycin is not available in your area.
Clean/flush the eye and apply ointment at least once daily.

Welcome To BYC

Looks like he has crusty debris covering the eye. I'd apply warm saline compresses to the eye to see if I could get that to loosen up and gently remove the crusties.
Press out any pus and generously flush with saline. Apply an eye ointment in the eye. Terramycin eye ointment can be found at stores like TSC or online. Original Neosporin can be used, if Terramycin is not available in your area.
Clean/flush the eye and apply ointment at least once daily.
Are you sure about Neosporin? On the packet it said, do not use in eyes. Or do I put it around the eye? Thanks for responding.

Yes, Neosporin can be safely used in the eye. I have used it without problems. The prescription Neosporin from your vet costs about $35 plus a vet visit. If you can get the Terramycin that can be used twice a day as well. But use the warm wet compresses to soften the crust. Saline eye wash can also be dropped over the eye.

Back
Top Bottom