Eye infection from injury

Mburrows6653

Chirping
Jul 24, 2022
Hey all. I need help with my Roosters eye. It’s infected. The swollen area is soft and squishy, not hard. It doesn’t appear there’s any sort of hard puss ball deep inside. He is not sneezing, and has no symptoms of any respiratory illness, and none of his flock mates have any respiratory symptoms either. He was fighting with his brother a lot last week, and I do believe it’s an injury. I have flushed it, cleaned it, applied Terramycin ointment 2x/day for 4 days now. It’s very hard to get the ointment inside the eye as the swelling is so bad. I can only get it on the upper/outer portion. He’s very sensitive to me touching it as I’m sure it’s very painful. Would you recommend I continue flushing and applying Terramycin? I also have Neopolydex and tobramycin drops if anyone thinks I should switch. He’s currently separated and eating/drinking great. Just would love to fix his eye. Photo attached. Thanks all. ❤️
IMG_5541.jpeg

With that much swelling he's got pus or debris in the eye that needs to be removed.

I'd continue to clean the eye and apply the ointment but work on the eye to see if you can get pus out or see if there's foreign material/debris that needs to be removed.

With that much swelling he's got pus or debris in the eye that needs to be removed.

I'd continue to clean the eye and apply the ointment but work on the eye to see if you can get pus out or see if there's foreign material/debris that needs to be removed.

Thank you. I’ll work on it. Appreciate your advice.

I did it! I got the puss out, flushed the eye, filled it with Terramycin!! What are the chances it’ll come back? Photo of puss ball below, if interested. IMG_5544.jpeg

I did it! I got the puss out, flushed the eye, filled it with Terramycin!! What are the chances it’ll come back? Photo of puss ball below, if interested. View attachment 3716078
Nice job! Yes, that was quite a bit of pus in the eye. I bet he feels better already.

You may need to clean more pus out again, it just depends on if you got all of it. Hopefully this will start him on the way to healing.
Keep up with the daily rinsing/cleaning of the eye with saline, it may have crusties, especially in the a.m., and put the ointment in the eye.

Nice job! Yes, that was quite a bit of pus in the eye. I bet he feels better already.

You may need to clean more pus out again, it just depends on if you got all of it. Hopefully this will start him on the way to healing.
Keep up with the daily rinsing/cleaning of the eye with saline, it may have crusties, especially in the a.m., and put the ointment in the eye.
Will do. Thank you so much for guidance and support! ❤️ Happy New Year!

The swelling today is significantly reduced. I was able to remove some stray strands/chunks of more puss this morning that I didn’t get yesterday. The eye ball does appear to be there, inside, however it’s not looking great. Is there a way to “melt” Terramycin ointment to be able to get it into the eye better? The ointment just stays a thick line and doesn’t easily go into the eye. Then if I try to smear it in, it all just stays on my finger not in the eye 😣
Can I put the Terramycin tube into warm water for a few mins to somewhat “melt it” and then maybe it’ll better dissolve into the eye? Or will that ruin the “medical makeup” of the ointment? sorry if this is a dumb question. Just trying to make I get as much ointment INTO the eye as possible to help my sweet boy heal ❤️

The swelling today is significantly reduced. I was able to remove some stray strands/chunks of more puss this morning that I didn’t get yesterday. The eye ball does appear to be there, inside, however it’s not looking great. Is there a way to “melt” Terramycin ointment to be able to get it into the eye better? The ointment just stays a thick line and doesn’t easily go into the eye. Then if I try to smear it in, it all just stays on my finger not in the eye 😣
Can I put the Terramycin tube into warm water for a few mins to somewhat “melt it” and then maybe it’ll better dissolve into the eye? Or will that ruin the “medical makeup” of the ointment? sorry if this is a dumb question. Just trying to make I get as much ointment INTO the eye as possible to help my sweet boy heal ❤️
I think it's a great question.
The ointment is pretty thick and it can be hard to get into the eye at times.
Yes, I would soften the tube in warm water so you can more easily apply the ointment.

Glad you were able to get more pus out this morning. It can be a process, so just go slow, work on it as more appears (if there's any more).

I think it's a great question.
The ointment is pretty thick and it can be hard to get into the eye at times.
Yes, I would soften the tube in warm water so you can more easily apply the ointment.

Glad you were able to get more pus out this morning. It can be a process, so just go slow, work on it as more appears (if there's any more).
As usual, you’re polite, kind and helpful. I truly appreciate your responses and helpfulness in my stressful situations. May the new year bring you nothing but joy and happiness to continue spreading to others. Thank you.

As usual, you’re polite, kind and helpful. I truly appreciate your responses and helpfulness in my stressful situations. May the new year bring you nothing but joy and happiness to continue spreading to others. Thank you.
Thank you!🤗

Happy New Year to you too.

When you have time over the next few days, try to get a photo of his eye. Hopefully he's not blinded. This can happen with injury, but often the swelling and pus can make the eye look odd, so once healing begins the eye will look a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom