Eye injury now growth?

haley0489

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
My little D’uccle pullet suffered an eye injury about two weeks ago. The eye itself had a small but visible peck or puncture and was clearly causing her pain as she kept the eye closed. I went and got terramycin and have been applying for a little over a week. Today I noticed where she had the wound there is a very small protruding growth. Almost like a skin tag made of eye tissue.

Any ideas what and how to treat? It seems to make her uncomfortable. I expect her to go blind in this eye. Any chance she won’t?

And just for fun, this pullet is named Reba because she’s a “survivor” of coccidiosis at around 4 weeks old. Poor gal has had it rough.

Attachments

• 09FA9A4B-B773-4D53-B932-6B94A6E4F487.jpeg
    09FA9A4B-B773-4D53-B932-6B94A6E4F487.jpeg
    799.2 KB · Views: 24
She appears to have a corneal ulcer, bad ones can take longer to heal, as well as those in the middle of the eye. Is vet care an option? They can prescribe a stronger medication/eye drop if it's called for, and sometimes there can be fungal infection as well (which is common with plant matter in the eye), which would require a different medication. If vet care is not an option then I would continue with the terramycin and monitor it closely. Most other meds are going to require a prescription.

It looks like her eye was pierced and she will be blind. I would guess that the area is scar tissue if it won’t move with QTip. Flush it with a little saline, and then reapply the Terramycin twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom