Baby Eye Injury

Dedetiger

Chirping
Apr 11, 2019
For context: I got a bunch of bantam chicks from tractor supply just two days ago, and upon getting home with them and putting them into their new space, I had noticed one of them appeared to be missing an eye (as in, it was solidly shut with scar tissue and swelling - no blood so this must’ve happened well before I got her or she was just always like this)

Yesterday morning I went to go check on them all and noticed she did in fact have an eye and it was open! However it doesn’t look healthy by any means. She definitely can’t see out of it, but that’s the least of my worries right now. (It definitely hurt her the day it was opened, but on second day of treating it it doesn’t seem to bother her as much if at all). It WAS very goopy when it was open, but that’s also started to go down significantly today.

Her other eye is completely fine and healthy.

She was and is still eating/drinking fine and gets along just well with her roomies, no one’s picking on her at all.

As for the good part:
I have started treatment on it - keeping it clean and treating it with terramycin (which is why it appears so goopy in the photo as I just put it on) but I was wondering if there’s anything MORE I can do for her, or to just continue as I am

Attachments

• IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    547.3 KB · Views: 14
The terramycin should help with any infection. Saline wash may be good between applications. Keep it moist and watch for any pus build up. If pus develops it will have to be removed.

The terramycin should help with any infection. Saline wash may be good between applications. Keep it moist and watch for any pus build up. If pus develops it will have to be removed.
Exactly what I’ve been doing! Her pus build up went down drastically the last day, so hopefully that’s a good sign 🤞

Back
Top Bottom