Advice Please

FreedomGalTx

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
I have a chicken that has been isolated for 10days & been through hell to get better. Idk how to fully fix her left eye. She got terramycin ointment & flushes, now just 2x daily flushes. She was treated with Corid Denaguard Ivermectin & Safeguard pellets, all separate (still using the pellets) She went from diarrhea with blood in half to perfectly normal poops now for 2 days. She only missed 1 day laying an egg. We started to let her out to Forge alone yesterday 2x a day. The eye, she can open if she feels threatened but not all the way. Today we put her out with the others & 3 younger ones immediately started attacking her, focusing on the bum eye. Do you think with more flushes of the goopy terramycin she will open her eye normally again? And if not will the attacking continue? I am willing to get rid of the 3 younger ones but then her sister age bully pecked her below that eye & drew after being fine with her for 30min in the group. Sorry about the length. First time chicken owner.

I have a chicken that has been isolated for 10days & been through hell to get better. Idk how to fully fix her left eye. She got terramycin ointment & flushes, now just 2x daily flushes. She was treated with Corid Denaguard Ivermectin & Safeguard pellets, all separate (still using the pellets) She went from diarrhea with blood in half to perfectly normal poops now for 2 days. She only missed 1 day laying an egg. We started to let her out to Forge alone yesterday 2x a day. The eye, she can open if she feels threatened but not all the way. Today we put her out with the others & 3 younger ones immediately started attacking her, focusing on the bum eye. Do you think with more flushes of the goopy terramycin she will open her eye normally again? And if not will the attacking continue? I am willing to get rid of the 3 younger ones but then her sister age bully pecked her below that eye & drew after being fine with her for 30min in the group. Sorry about the length. First time chicken owner.
Oh poor thing I had a hen like that but they didn’t attack her. She eventually got better on her own everything I did never helped. Do you have pictures? @Eggcessive @fluffycrow @azygous can you help? I hope your girl gets better!

Oh poor thing I had a hen like that but they didn’t attack her. She eventually got better on her own everything I did never helped. Do you have pictures? @Eggcessive @fluffycrow @azygous can you help? I hope your girl gets better!
Bad & good eye. Bad one is not swollen. Can't seem to get a pic where she will peep with it( that is new for past 2 days) I went ahead and ordered silver colloidal drops? I'm willing to try anything to help her. I don't want her to be picked on. She is my favorite, our first to lay & the sweetest.😩

Attachments

• 20231024_180332.jpg
    20231024_180332.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231024_180142.jpg
    20231024_180142.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 12
Bad & good eye. Bad one is not swollen. Can't seem to get a pic where she will peep with it( that is new for past 2 days) I went ahead and ordered silver colloidal drops? I'm willing to try anything to help her. I don't want her to be picked on. She is my favorite, our first to lay & the sweetest.😩
It’s so hard when your hen gets sick I cried for my sweet girl! Did her eye look like this?
648FF70D-B0AB-4134-B890-741D593B6BEF.jpeg
She actually got better and it’s cleared up a lot there might still be a tiny spot. I really hope someone can help!!! When my hens get hurt it’s so stressful and upsetting and I’m guessing you’re feeling the same! Good luck!

The eye looks cloudy. That may indicate loss of vision. Did the eye get pecked after her other illness? Or was the eye issue there along with the other issues? Could be the eye is permanently damaged from pecking. The left eye normally focuses on distance. You might want to do a test to see if she can see in that eye.

The younger ones are taking advantage of her absence from the flock demoting her rank down to the lowest. After such a long absence, it's best not to let any chickens near her until she's been reintegrated. It's nearly the same as introducing a new hen to the flock. Do it gradually.

The eye looks cloudy. That may indicate loss of vision. Did the eye get pecked after her other illness? Or was the eye issue there along with the other issues? Could be the eye is permanently damaged from pecking. The left eye normally focuses on distance. You might want to do a test to see if she can see in that eye.

The younger ones are taking advantage of her absence from the flock demoting her rank down to the lowest. After such a long absence, it's best not to let any chickens near her until she's been reintegrated. It's nearly the same as introducing a new hen to the flock. Do it gradually.
Her eye was not pecked that we know of. When she opens it & when I flush it , it does not appear cloudy. It seems to pain her when she opens it & I just don't know why. She did have diarrhea & a hoarse voice but all except the eye is cleared up. It is possible ahead was pecked. She was normal out in the yard last Saturday until around noon. At 5pm she was a bit lethargic & had the left eye closed

This is my chickens eye that she is starting to open more

The eye looks better in this photo. A chicken keeps an eye closed when it hurts a lot. Have you ever scratched your cornea and experienced the excruciating pain it causes? You will then understand how much pain a chicken with an injured eye can feel.

Until her eye returns to normal, flush it with eye saline or lubricating eye drops when you see her favoring it.

Back
Top Bottom