Chicken sleeps with head sideways and has wierd eye

Beloved Turkey

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
I recently rescued four chickens and noticed one of them had something over their eye, it looked kind of like skin but it doesn’t effect her as she eats drinks lays and acts normally, but after I noticed that I noticed that when I put her bed her head was sideways but is normal any other time, I was wondering if that was normal because she was trying to see better as her good eye was always up or some kind of balance problem.

Attachments

• IMG_6564.jpeg
    IMG_6564.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6563.jpeg
    IMG_6563.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6396.jpeg
    IMG_6396.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6274.jpeg
    IMG_6274.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 9
Have you checked to see if her right eye reacts to you putting your hand close to it? She may be blind in that
I was thinking that too, but I didn’t know how to test it so I will do that tommorow when I’m back home, but it doesn’t mean she’s ill?

I was thinking that too, but I didn’t know how to test it so I will do that tommorow when I’m back home, but it doesn’t mean she’s ill?
I don't know for sure what is going on there and it definitely does look strange, but if she is otherwise acting okay, eating, drinking, poop is normal, no discharge, etc., she is probably fine.

You could try some warm wet compresses on the eye 2-3 times a day for about 5 minutes and then try to clean any material off the eye. Then apply either Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment into the eye 2-3 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom