Hen with swollen eye

Hi there, My one rooster is dealing with something similar and there is a bit of pus (an blood) coming out of his eye, it looks like he was attacked, and he’ll open his eye just a little bit, and then shut it again. I put some manna pro hen healer on it, and was curious if you could advice me on anything else I could do to help him more? Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you!
I would start a new thread where more people will answer. It almost looks like the eyeball was punctured. Can you handle him well enough to use a warm wet compress and hold it on his eye for a few minutes to soften the goop? You can then flush the eye with saline eye wash, and apply either Terramycin ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment.

I would start a new thread where more people will answer. It almost looks like the eyeball was punctured. Can you handle him well enough to use a warm wet compress and hold it on his eye for a few minutes to soften the goop? You can then flush the eye with saline eye wash, and apply either Terramycin ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment.
thank you so much! i’ll try this today.

do you think this eyewash would work?

Attachments

• 8C7E3549-D7C3-414C-BA70-447AC588C397.jpeg
    8C7E3549-D7C3-414C-BA70-447AC588C397.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 5
That should be fine. I have even used human eye wash from Bausch and Lomb, Eye Relief Eye Wash.

thank you so much for your help. Sorry to be a bug, but I ended up putting some terramycin ointment on his eye, and then he started to open it. It looks like his pupil is inlarged, and I’m wondering if he’s blind, or if its due to trauma? Thank you very much :)

Attachments

• 793F464F-40E6-486B-AD6F-CBB15ED91B35.jpeg
    793F464F-40E6-486B-AD6F-CBB15ED91B35.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 3
He may be. I would continue to treat until you are seeing no more swelling or discharge or pus, so that any infection doesn't affect the other eye. He can live with one eye and adapt, but will be at a disadvantage from others since he can't see what's coming from that side. Particularly other roo's. If you have more than one roo it might be necessary to separate him, with a small group of his own girls if possible, to keep him safe from attack.

Back
Top Bottom