Eye infection from injury

Thank you!šŸ¤—

Happy New Year to you too.

When you have time over the next few days, try to get a photo of his eye. Hopefully he's not blinded. This can happen with injury, but often the swelling and pus can make the eye look odd, so once healing begins the eye will look a lot better.
Hi Wyorp. Iā€™m back for more guidance/suggestions. My boy isnā€™t getting better. Iā€™ve been flushing with saline and applying Terramycin 2x/day. Last night, more chunky puss was removed but not easily. I removed as much as I can, but Iā€™m not very familiar with the eye parts and it appears as though some of the puss is underneath the eye ball or a layer of something that I cannot get to. The eye itself in my opinion looks terrible and im
Wondering if he is permanently blinded šŸ˜­
I know he can live just fine blind in 1 eye, if I can get the rest of this under control.
I started him on Meloxicam last night bc he acts as though the eye is way more painful than before. It is now always gunked shut am and pm when I take him out to flush it and clean it.
Other than a vets visit ($100 just for an exam here in Los Angeles šŸ˜’) do you have any other ideas, recommendations or treatment plans I should try. I have attached photos from this morning after I flushed and cleaned the eye.
Thank you ā¤ļø
IMG_5561.jpeg
IMG_5562.jpeg
IMG_5563.jpeg

Poor guy!
Does he have any mucous of pus inside his beak in the choanal slit?

I think I would also treat him with an antibiotic to see if that will help with the infection. You will still need to clean the eye, apply ointment, remove pus, etc. but the abx may help his body fight this too.

I assume he's a pet and you aren't going to eat him in the next couple of months, so I would use Baytril to treat him. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Poor guy!

I think I would also treat him with an antibiotic to see if that will help with the infection. You will still need to clean the eye, apply ointment, remove pus, etc. but the abx may help his body fight this too.

I assume he's a pet and you aren't going to eat him in the next couple of months, so I would use Baytril to treat him. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
I started him on doxycycline a few days ago, just in case this was respiratory related, but he has no respiratory issues at all and neither do any flock mates, but I thought I would try it in case, but I have baytril and can switch to that without issue. Yes, heā€™s a pet ā¤ļøā¤ļø
Nothing at all in the cleft of his beak or inside his mouth. Clear, no odor except for the discharge stuck around his eye feathers I keep trying to clean up. His nose/nostrils are also clear/clean. Heā€™s still eating/drinking great and normal stools. Heā€™s very active in his recovery pen, perching at night, crowing to his girlfriends and the other boys.
As far as that whitish stuff you can see in the pics.. I do believe itā€™s more puss, but I cannot get to it. Itā€™s literally unreachable and underneath that layer. It has been that way a few days, but last night there was ā€œmoreā€ of it so I did remove as much as I could, but Iā€™m assuming extremely painful and I do not want to damage anything more than already has happened. I use a flat cotton pad, soak it with saline and fold it over to kind of use as a scoop to try and get the debris out.. but Iā€™m not having much luck. So, I will switch to baytril, continue cleaning, flushing and applying Terramycin.
Thank you, yet again. ā¤ļøā¤ļø I will most likely reach out again for more help, or Hopefully šŸ¤žšŸ»šŸ¤žšŸ»šŸ¤žšŸ» will be back with a positive update.

Poor guy!

Hi Wyorp. Iā€™m back with an update and looking for more ideas!
Poor guy!

hi Wyorp. Iā€™m back with an update and looking for more ideas to help my boy. Updated photos from this morning are attached. The swelling is significantly reduced. Heā€™s been on baytril 3 days, and meloxicam. My issue now is that thereā€™s clearly more puss, however it is a thinner/flatter layer that is like stuck to the damaged eye ball itself. Itā€™s not round, and there is no way for me to get under it to get it out. Iā€™ve tried a Qtip, and Iā€™ve tried pushing below it to dislodge it. It will not budge. I have not tried warm compresses yet.. maybe Iā€™ll do that today. Do you have any other ideas for how to get this out? I do feel that the slime layers present a few days ago have either been removed or healing of some kind is happening and pushing it more toward the surface? Not sure really. I feel like that puss needs out though for this eye to continue healing. Ideas greatly appreciated. ā¤ļø
IMG_5634.jpeg
IMG_5635.jpeg
IMG_5636.jpeg

I'd try the warm compresses and see if that helps.

Is vet care an option at all?
I live in LA. The last time I took a chicken to the vet, the exam fee is $100 for them yo say ā€œyeah we should sedate and do this this and thisā€¦ estimate $500+ā€
So unfortunately, no. šŸ˜’

Quite understandable.

Keep working on it.
Hi Wyorp! Back with an update! Today is the first day heā€™s been able to open his eye on his own šŸ„° the eyeball itself is not pretty, but so much improvement has been made. Heā€™s still in great spirits and has become quite sweet and used to his daily treatments. Just happy heā€™s able to open and close his eye now. Photo below.
IMG_5681.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom