Blinded hen, swollen head, no idea what to do ,any advice is helpful.

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
I found my hen 2 mornings ago on the ground outside the coop , A little bloody and her head swollen, she is already missing an eye from a previous incident and now her other one is swollen shut, I've been watering her but she won't drink tons. I tried to wipe the blood and crust off her eye but it didnt work, i lost our medicine a while ago and now at a loss of what I should do at this point. thanks

To wipe off the blood, get a warm damp washcloth, if any other injuries occur apply vetericyn or hydrogen peroxide, being wary of the eyes, and after that apply blukote. It depends on what the injury is from though.

That's weird do u think it's a predator attack?
Can you insert a pic?
I dont think so I think the other hens bullied her
To wipe off the blood, get a warm damp washcloth, if any other injuries occur apply vetericyn or hydrogen peroxide, being wary of the eyes, and after that apply blukote. It depends on what the injury is from though.
I can't find a big injury just 5-6 small cuts and none are where she's swollen its odd

PXL_20240324_180623759.jpg

First, keep her away from the flock. Set up a hospital cage/area, and make sure she’s kept in a warm and quiet, stress-free place. Gently rinse her wounds, assess the severity, and apply (non-pain relief) triple antibiotic (to the eye as well). Vitamins and electrolytes in her water (make sure she’s drinking) and good food. If you can’t get her to a vet, keep the wounds clean and covered with the antibiotic. I’m hoping someone else will be by soon to offer additional advice. I’m very sorry about your girl. I can see that she’s been through a lot.

Has she been bullied a lot before? Is that how she was blinded in the other eye? What is your flock like as far as number of birds, roosters, free ranging or other? Is there any overcrowding, and what do you feed them? Do you ever butcher your chickens? If she is blinded in the other eye, how do you feel about caring for her long term? I worry that the bullying could continue if she recovers. She might need to be kept in a pen of her own, but the more familiar the place, the easy it would be. I would flush her eye and wounds with saline and apply plain Neosporin ointment twice a day.

Has she been bullied a lot before?
Not tons but she is definitely bottom of the chain
Is that how she was blinded in the other eye?
No she had an abscess behind it and her eye just kinda swelled up and then ln when it unswelled it was gone.
What is your flock like as far as number of birds, roosters, free ranging or other?
Excluding her , 7 with 2 roos , I'm trying to get rid of the second one.
Is there any overcrowding,
No they live in a super big garden.
and what do you feed them? D
This truly depends and change week to week.
o you ever butcher your chickens?
Yes .
If she is blinded in the other eye, how do you feel about caring for her long term?
I'm not going to.
I worry that the bullying could continue if she recovers. She might need to be kept in a pen of her own
If she recovers she will go in with my pheasant hen (who is terrified of chickens for some reason)
, but the more familiar the place, the easy it would be. I would flush her eye and wounds with saline and apply plain Neosporin ointment twice a day.
Ok

Back
Top Bottom